• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLTQ in Hilton Head

If Adult Standards can't make it at Hilton Head, then it shouldn't make it anywhere. Too bad they are just running Music of Your Life. It is an OK format, but a decent LOCAL PD ought to be able to do somehting that really relates to the local residents. MOYL is fine, but very generic.

Hilton Head may be the 50+ crowd, but the folks who live there ought to be someone's target audience.

Chuck said:
If Adult Standards can't make it at Hilton Head, then it shouldn't make it anywhere. Too bad they are just running Music of Your Life. It is an OK format, but a decent LOCAL PD ought to be able to do somehting that really relates to the local residents. MOYL is fine, but very generic.

Hilton Head may be the 50+ crowd, but the folks who live there ought to be someone's target audience.
I believe this was one of the complaints about the switch to The Coast. I saw some newspaper letters to the editor about it when I first found out this had happened.

But the letters about WLTQ were very positive. Just about the music, but positive.

I did enjoy listening to MOYL on the way to the beach, though. They had a man and woman co-hosting a show and then Peter Marshall came on. Then I lost the signal and was stuck with Kelli Dixon from Myrtle Beach.

And the music wasn't quite as good.

Oops. Clear Channel owns it. They'd never go to all this trouble for one station.

And they seem to have all the Savannah stations they can handle.

Maybe someone would buy it.

I was in Hilton Head this last weekend. It was a very quick trip. I never heard WLTQ playing Standards. I guess on the weekends, all bets are off. Sunday morning, when I got in my car, they were running an infomercial about "Lower Bowel Cleansing." (Really). That kind of programming would make me tune out. I know that stations sell those programs for cash flow, but I question if the cost in listeners is really worth it.

I'm sure the theory is, "Nobody's listening Sunday morning."

It did make me look for other alternatives. I suspect other people would do the same thing. I could pick up a station from Charleston that was running Music of Your Life. It’s coverage was better on the mainland than on the island.

Chuck said:
I was in Hilton Head this last weekend. It was a very quick trip. I never heard WLTQ playing Standards. I guess on the weekends, all bets are off.

... I'm sure the theory is, "Nobody's listening Sunday morning."

It did make me look for other alternatives. I suspect other people would do the same thing. I could pick up a station from Charleston that was running Music of Your Life. It’s coverage was better on the mainland than on the island.
I don't get it. If you heard a Charleston station playing Music of Your Life, that was WLTQ.

Who was doing the informercial? It would make sense for the WLTQ target audience, I suppose.

vchimpanzee said:
I don't get it. If you heard a Charleston station playing Music of Your Life, that was WLTQ.

Who was doing the informercial? It would make sense for the WLTQ target audience, I suppose.

Must have been it. The infomercial was of no interest to me, and I am in the age group that would possibly listen to a Standards station. To me, it was just another excuse to push the "seek" button.

vchimpanzee said:
Did you try WLOW?

Ya know, I really don't know. When you are in a rental car trying to figure out where you are going, the call letters tend to be insignificant. That's assuming they actually tell you who they are every now and then. With satellite syndication, that opportunity usually comes at the top of the hour, and that is about it.

I think that's one of the problems with "just picking it up off the bird." You lose your identity.

WLOW is at 107.9. You might have known you were there without hearing letters.

I was hoping to hear just how bad it is. It's sort of like ABC Timeless Classics or perhaps ABC Unforgettable Favorites. Some people on this site say it sounds bad. I've seen other opinions elsewhere by doing a search. Most people who liked standards seem to hate it.

To be honest, while at Hilton Head, I didn't hear any radio that made me want to set a button on the car radio. Most of my drive time to and from the airport was spent pushing the "seek" button. To be fair, I was listening on a weekend, and lots of stations are quite different on Saturday and Sunday than they are on week days.

I do know WLOW has or had some religious programming.

When I said it sounds like Timeless Classics, I mean that format now.

And I am aware Unforgettable Favorites is gone, but I know how it was.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom