• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLOH Lancaster to purchase WLGN/WKNA Logan Ohio.

I remember talking with Mark Bohach when I worked at the Lancaster paper. I wrote the story when he bought WLOH, coincidentally.
I don't live close enough to Logan to hear either station, at least very well, but hopefully they continue to serve that area as WLOH does Lancaster.

I remember talking with Mark Bohach when I worked at the Lancaster paper. I wrote the story when he bought WLOH, coincidentally.
I don't live close enough to Logan to hear either station, at least very well, but hopefully they continue to serve that area as WLOH does Lancaster.
They stream here: Wolf Ohio Radio

I listen daily. They're doing a great job with the playlist and keeping their focus local.

Here's an article about the purchase. It might be paywalled.
In case you can't read it, it just elaborates on what has already been stated here, giving the purchase price of WLGN at $390,000, but adds that Bohach plans to open another station in Lancaster "by the middle of next year. He said the new station will probably be something aimed at the younger audience with more of a contemporary format."

n case you can't read it, it just elaborates on what has already been stated here, giving the purchase price of WLGN at $390,000, but adds that Bohach plans to open another station in Lancaster "by the middle of next year. He said the new station will probably be something aimed at the younger audience with more of a contemporary format."

The one I posted originally was not a pay wall article the time I posted it but I think these smaller papers allow so many views then the articles go pay (I could view the Lancaster Gazette one - I saw it posted on WLOH's Facebook page earlier.

The comment about "another station" in Lancaster is interesting - You can't just apply for a new FCC license these days. I wonder if he is going after 105.9 WWJM New Lexington? the other option which seems less likely would be to purchase the EMF Translator at 105.3 in Lancaster that airs Air1 but that would also require Mark to lease an HD-x channel somewhere to feed it. 102.5 is the only other 'near' Lancaster station I can think of but that one is tied up in a LMA with Urban One (Radio One) so I don't see that happening. (and I do not see Urban One (Radio One) divesting 95.5 WXMG either).

WLGN AM / 103.3 airs a Classic Hits format and WKNA 98.3 runs a syndicated "Jack FM knock off" called SAM (Simply About Music).

They have very little "local" presence -

In the first article (the one I posted) Mark hinted at possible format changes for the Logan stations.

"Music-wise, the stations that will change hands currently offer oldies and adult hits. Whether those formats will change has not yet been decided, Bohach said.
“All plans are tentative right now,” he reported. “We really haven’t made any final decisions on any of that. We’re working on what fits best for those signals. I will say that we do anticipate making some changes, but at this point we don’t have any final decisions made.”"

whos to say he cant put HD on WKNA and move one of his existing translators into lancaster thats further a field or buy one and move it?

Yes, lancaster would be outside the 60 dbu of WKNA which means WKNA cant own the transmitter. but just put the translator in a seperate company name with someone else as the head of the comp[any

Problem solved

I may be wrong but seem to remember the name Mark Bohach way back to 1979-80 when I was peripherally involved with WLGN,
then an AM&FM simulcast that very much served the local audience.

It would be kinda nice to see the WHOK calls restored on the FM dial in that area. Probably wouldn't happen but one can have a dream every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom