• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLAC morning

What do you expect WLAC to air in the 5-8 am time slot after year-end when the Wall Street Journal radio network ceases operations?

Any chance they'll develop a local show for the slot (or part of it)? Feel like there's a need in the market for a good morning news program with at least some local content. Or maybe this just isn't a morning market, what with the music industry types staying out late and sleeping in!

Bring back Rick and Bubba!!!

One of the radio news sites is reporting that Gordon Deal has signed with another syndicator, and will offer a new daily business show starting in January. It'll probably be announced officially this week.

There needs to be a station in Nashville that has a decent AM Signal to go "All News". I realize it's sort of expensive, but I have ruled out WSM-AM and WLAC doing it. The rest of the AMs in the Nashville Area don't have a signal worth a squat, so I guess in the next 10 years it will be a "all news" station on FM. Chicago's WBBM-AM has a full powered (not a FM Translator) Station simulcasting the AM Signal. WBBM-AM itself makes money.

There needs to be a station in Nashville that has a decent AM Signal to go "All News".
/QUOTE]

The only all-news stations doing well are heritage all-news stations that have been doing the format for 25 years or more, in markets larger than Top 10. They launched an all news station in Houston, and it never got much listenership, and changed formats last month. An all news station in Atlanta is struggling right now. So it's definitely not happening in Nashville.

Back when Teedy Bart owned WKDA-AM 1240 (now WNVL-AM), they broadcasted CNN News all day and night after the weekly morning show "The Round Table" was done each day. Back then, I would listen to 1240 for the National News. Today, just in my opinion, it silly for an typical AM Station to a National Network News, at the top of the hour, unless it's a news/talk format like WLAC. On AM, WLAC is the only station I know of that I can get National and Local News from.

I don't know what WSM-AM 650 does at the top of the hour "daytime" because I don't really listen to them, except for Eddie Stubbs at night, and I only listen to WSM-AM every now and then. WSM-AM 650 needs to stay with the format, right where it is. Gaylord doesn't need any consultant to come in and screw it up. Let the Country Music Stars of the Opry have a say into it. I guess WSM-AM still does a local newscast during the day, but like I said, I don't listen to them much.

The rest of the AM Stations in the 8 County Nashville market are for crap. They have weak signals, and the ones in the surrounding counties of Davidson County, The TV Stations and On Line Media get local news faster than those AM Stations. AM and FM Radio in over half of the United States is almost worthless. The dashboards have change in the new automobiles, and On Line "Internet" Media gets local news out faster!

Soo... Despite Gordon Deal working up a new syndicator to pack up essentially the program changed in name only, WLAC has dropped two hours of it...

...for the Carr Report (giving this a chance, but it was terribly ponderous on day 1... a little better this morning)

...and infomercials from 7-8 am!

So, gee. That worked out GREAT! (not)

I gotta get up earlier... or like this morning, I found Gordon Deal's program on TuneIn Radio from a station in Florida. This had the additional benefit of a considerably more pleasant weather forecast! (Doh!!)

TuneIn is a great blessing. I listen to Bloomberg a lot and also to KYW. Sadly, there's not a really good local news/information driven show on Nashville radio right now. WPLN has an excellent news department and I like the local portion of Morning Edition, but not really a fan of the national NPR morning show, although I do like its top of the hour world/national newscasts.

The "Carr Report" is no more. Apparently, he got a better job offer to do something else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom