• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKVB Booster Silent, Synchronization Issues

I don't understand much how boosters work, but 105.5 WDBY (Patterson, New York) has (had?) a booster on 105.5 in Danbury, Connecticut that's supposes to help the signal in the Danbury area, but a guy I knew from Newtown (next town over from Danbury) showed me how in certain areas the main WDBY signal and the booster would interfere with each other and create a mess on 105.5 FM.

I don't understand much how boosters work, but 105.5 WDBY (Patterson, New York) has (had?) a booster on 105.5 in Danbury, Connecticut that's supposes to help the signal in the Danbury area, but a guy I knew from Newtown (next town over from Danbury) showed me how in certain areas the main WDBY signal and the booster would interfere with each other and create a mess on 105.5 FM.
That shouldn't happen with regular uses, as they should be synced via IP or similar tech.

But add in a few mountain ridges, hills and valleys, multi-path comes into play.

That shouldn't happen with regular uses, as they should be synced via IP or similar tech.

But add in a few mountain ridges, hills and valleys, multi-path comes into play.
hes not talkin about audio, hes talking about signal.....

I've worked for 2 stations with booster, one had issues in a few points where the signals crossed.

The other station has little issue with the booster clashing with the main because the main is SEVERELY terrain shadowed

I wasn't a fan of WAAF because I wasn't much into new rock music, but I was impressed by the strength of their old signal. I remember many times in the late 90s/early 2000s picking up WAAF crystal clear sitting on my back deck in Bristol, Connecticut. That's in Central Connecticut for the record.

Even if WAAF had their old signal in 2023, it wouldn't be able to come in in that area of Connecticut anymore as their is a translator for WRYM (New Britain, CT) on 107.3 FM.
Why, pray tell, does ANY station decide it has an overwhelming meed for a translator? All these signals seem to do is block signals from more powerful stations from reaching out of market. There used to be a thing called "FM DX'ing", akin to AM DX'ing, but that seems to have been killed off by translators.

But, hey, I'm sure that translators are saving the state of terrestrial radio more than words can express, yessiree.

Why, pray tell, does ANY station decide it has an overwhelming meed for a translator? All these signals seem to do is block signals from more powerful stations from reaching out of market. There used to be a thing called "FM DX'ing", akin to AM DX'ing, but that seems to have been killed off by translators.

But, hey, I'm sure that translators are saving the state of terrestrial radio more than words can express, yessiree.

A translator quite often picks up new audiences that wouldnt listen to am.. and advertisers who wouldnt advertise on just an AM.

It doesnt matter about dxing or stations form near boston being heard in hartford... none of that matters

Back
Top Bottom