• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKQX to Begin Using the Q101 Branding Again

Macattack - good analysis; I thank you for the thought provoking post.

The only point on which I will disagree is Q101's ratings in the very early 00's. During that era, when the station had a nu metal and rap/rock lean - the numbers were actually darn good. They were cleaning up in young adults and also Men 25 to 54. At one point, the station cracked a 4 share in ages 12+. The instant Dave Richards left for Seattle and Tim Richards (inbound from Detroit CHR WKQI) took over and made the station more poppy, the numbers tanked and never recovered.

I honestly don't think Q101 would be that difficult to fix if the right person were leading the effort. I agree the nostalgia branding in & of itself will only take the station so far.

Macattack - good analysis; I thank you for the thought provoking post.

The only point on which I will disagree is Q101's ratings in the very early 00's. During that era, when the station had a nu metal and rap/rock lean - the numbers were actually darn good. They were cleaning up in young adults and also Men 25 to 54. At one point, the station cracked a 4 share in ages 12+. The instant Dave Richards left for Seattle and Tim Richards (inbound from Detroit CHR WKQI) took over and made the station more poppy, the numbers tanked and never recovered.

I honestly don't think Q101 would be that difficult to fix if the right person were leading the effort. I agree the nostalgia branding in & of itself will only take the station so far.
For the record, I was talking about the format as a whole when talking about the malaise that struck the format in the early 00’s. Q101 did very well with the nu-metal sound, but that’s because Chicago is historically fond of heavy rock music. Chicago is a hip-hop town too, which is why Q101 could get away with sporadic hip-hop adds during its prime years. You would think “Lose Yourself” and “Hey Ya!” wouldn’t mesh with “The Red” or “Seven Nation Army” but Q101 made it work.

Well, until Tim Richards came in, was aghast at what they were playing, and changed everything, permanently derailing Q101, but that’s been gone over ad nauseum at this point.

I agree that Q101 needs the right person to come in. It would honestly probably be Walt as mentioned by Jeremy, Walt is a lifelong Chicagoan and knows what Chicago likes. Problem is, he’s over at WCHI applying his expertise to that station, which is partially why it’s kicking ass! Another part is that WCHI has an excellent DJ lineup, especially Josh Klinger in afternoons. Credit where credit is due, Klinger has been one hell of an addition to the Chicago radio landscape and his good ratings are deserved.

The domain forwards to the WKQX website on my iPhone. It doesn't do anything elsewhere.
The Facebook Page is still named "Q101" but the username is now W272DQChicago
The Twitter page was named "K-Rock" for awhile but now seems to be deleted
The Instagram page was named "K-Rock" for awhile as well.
W272DQ is a translator for WCKG. Could W272DQ be flipping formats?

W272DQ is a translator for WCKG. Could W272DQ be flipping formats?
WCKG needs to flip, or the translator needs to switch to another programming source like an HD sub. It can’t originate programming on its own.

Honestly it sounds like they’re using a placeholder name while trying to figure out what to do with the account.

WCKG needs to flip, or the translator needs to switch to another programming source like an HD sub. It can’t originate programming on its own.

Honestly it sounds like they’re using a placeholder name while trying to figure out what to do with the account.

They’ve tried numerous formats on those signals over the years. 1530 is on an STA because the DOT had to take down one of their towers. The translator as at that site. They’re signally challenged, which is a problem. At this point they’re likely just trying to keep the licenses active until someone decides to take them.

Fantastic interview with Q101 VP & PD Troy Hanson about getting back the heritage brand:

Ah yes, the guy who ran Zeta in Miami into the ground. He also did a terrible job programming Rock 100.5 in Atlanta.

He can bloviate about the Q101 brand all he wants. It doesn't change the fact the station has been headed in the wrong direction the past year or two. Fix the playlist!

Fantastic interview with Q101 VP & PD Troy Hanson about getting back the heritage brand:

Too bad it stinks now and isn't the awesome Q101 I enjoyed in the '90s and early '00s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom