• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKGE On The Block

Sorry that I'm late to the party here . . .

Checked the FCC's WEB site about this last night (not on-line today due to the ineptness of our Federal gov'ment, thank GOD we don't get all the government we pay for though!) and they still appear to be silent. Last action back in January was the Authorization to go silent for 180-days due to technical issues. But that 180-days has passed. The same Authorization stated that if they weren't back on the air by the 7th of this month then the license would be permanently forfeited. I think that's easy to get around though; that they only need to come back on the air for a short period of time (varies, depending on the "opinion" of the station's legal council, but 24-hours is generally accepted) and then they can go silent again. They can even run at reduced power for that time if an STA is granted by the Commish.

Interesting facility though. If I remember correctly the array was designed by Silliman, Moffitt and Kowalski back in AM's salad days. (The Silliman in SMK was the father of Tom Silliman of ERI fame, by the way.) Having more power than the other guy was more important then than actual coverage, at least in managements' minds then. So to get 10-kW they (apparently) needed 9 towers! That was their "shoehorn and KY jelly". (Don't forget that this was in the days of slipstick and ledger/engineering pad array design; the few computers available then were still being used for more important stuff, like designing "weapons of mass deterrent" for the cold war. And there were specific power levels then; couldn't pick something in between like you can now.) Anyhow, even then it was (and may still be) considered a "critical" array. (Normal DA's have a +/- 5%, 3-degree tolerance requirement and this one was apparently much tighter.) It reportedly had air conditioned "doghouses" and one of the very first digital antenna monitors, reading out to something like four places to the right of the decimal, or so I heard! Initial tune-up took many, many weeks. And the story goes that one morning the engineers from SMK thought they had finally achieved nirvana. They went to have a leisurely lunch before packing their gear to head back to DC. But when they got back to the site things had turned to organic fertilizer! Seems that PennDOT had erected a snow fence across one end of the array while they were out breaking bread! Snow fences in those days (and probably still) were just a bunch of wooden slats tied together at the tops and bottoms with twisted steel wire. Not much to affect a DA so this one was as touchy as the devil !

All that to be able to cover the Hudson Bay; station couldn't be heard reliably in nearby Windber though (all right, maybe it wasn't that bad, but that's not much of an exaggeration). And the Tribune Democrat got their 10-kW on WJAC-AM, even if the tower lights used more power than the transmitter. In those days there were few months when the Trib billed less than the Treasury department printed so I guess they didn't care about the costs.

As to audio quality . . . well, in those days with that kind of array they were happy to "make" the pattern "on carrier". If the antenna has sideband performance that could pass at least telephone quality audio it was a bonus! With today's computer modeling techniques it could probably be noticeably improved. And with the changes on the band in the past few years it might be worth taking at least a cursory look at relaxing the pattern, reducing the number of towers; reducing power a bit; assuming it were to remain operational at the present site.

Sorry that I'm late to the party here . . .

Checked the FCC's WEB site about this last night (not on-line today due to the ineptness of our Federal gov'ment, thank GOD we don't get all the government we pay for though!) and they still appear to be silent. Last action back in January was the Authorization to go silent for 180-days due to technical issues. But that 180-days has passed. The same Authorization stated that if they weren't back on the air by the 7th of this month then the license would be permanently forfeited. I think that's easy to get around though; that they only need to come back on the air for a short period of time (varies, depending on the "opinion" of the station's legal council, but 24-hours is generally accepted) and then they can go silent again. They can even run at reduced power for that time if an STA is granted by the Commish.

Interesting facility though. If I remember correctly the array was designed by Silliman, Moffitt and Kowalski back in AM's salad days. (The Silliman in SMK was the father of Tom Silliman of ERI fame, by the way.) Having more power than the other guy was more important then than actual coverage, at least in managements' minds then. So to get 10-kW they (apparently) needed 9 towers! That was their "shoehorn and KY jelly". (Don't forget that this was in the days of slipstick and ledger/engineering pad array design; the few computers available then were still being used for more important stuff, like designing "weapons of mass deterrent" for the cold war. And there were specific power levels then; couldn't pick something in between like you can now.) Anyhow, even then it was (and may still be) considered a "critical" array. (Normal DA's have a +/- 5%, 3-degree tolerance requirement and this one was apparently much tighter.) It reportedly had air conditioned "doghouses" and one of the very first digital antenna monitors, reading out to something like four places to the right of the decimal, or so I heard! Initial tune-up took many, many weeks. And the story goes that one morning the engineers from SMK thought they had finally achieved nirvana. They went to have a leisurely lunch before packing their gear to head back to DC. But when they got back to the site things had turned to organic fertilizer! Seems that PennDOT had erected a snow fence across one end of the array while they were out breaking bread! Snow fences in those days (and probably still) were just a bunch of wooden slats tied together at the tops and bottoms with twisted steel wire. Not much to affect a DA so this one was as touchy as the devil !

All that to be able to cover the Hudson Bay; station couldn't be heard reliably in nearby Windber though (all right, maybe it wasn't that bad, but that's not much of an exaggeration). And the Tribune Democrat got their 10-kW on WJAC-AM, even if the tower lights used more power than the transmitter. In those days there were few months when the Trib billed less than the Treasury department printed so I guess they didn't care about the costs.

As to audio quality . . . well, in those days with that kind of array they were happy to "make" the pattern "on carrier". If the antenna has sideband performance that could pass at least telephone quality audio it was a bonus! With today's computer modeling techniques it could probably be noticeably improved. And with the changes on the band in the past few years it might be worth taking at least a cursory look at relaxing the pattern, reducing the number of towers; reducing power a bit; assuming it were to remain operational at the present site.

I stand corrected now that the FCC's full WEB site is back on line. WKGE applied to, and apparently did resume operations September 27th, at approximately 3:00 PM. Or so sayeth the application on the FCC's WEB site . . . be interesting to see if they stay on the air or go dark (silent?) again soon . . .

I am not an engineer and I was surprised to read about this station with a 9 tower array. I understand the need for directionally, but why 9 towers? That seems overly complex. Is there an advantage, in theory, for doing this; why did the original owners set it up that way? I would think 9 Towers must be one of if not the most for any US station.

You'll never see complex arrays like this being built again in a market this size. For the time it was built, when 850 was co-owned with the top-rated TV station in the market, it was competing head-to-head with another station (1490 AM) that was also co-owned with a TV station. There were also fewer radio stations on the air at that time, and those that were in outlying areas weren't as powerful as they are now. Prior to TV in the 1950s, stations like this were very profitable and the initial investment could be easily recouped. Nobody was thinking that far ahead about maintenance.

On November 12, 2016 Edward Schober Bought it for $25,000 he has a construction permit for 850 in Enola Pa. (Harrisburg market ).The Enola original construction permit was for 4kw day Directional and 1400 W night directional. After the purchase of WKGE that construction permit was modified to 6500 watts Non directional day 1650 Directional night From the WHP towers. He has also applied to move WKGE to 870 with 7000 W day using 3 towers. On March 30th he applied for and STA with 1500 watts Non directional 24/7 .He also applied for 101.3 FM with 180 watts to rebroadcast WKGE. From DX news on July 8th and July 18 At 22:01 local time in New Hampshire the signal was received by Bruce counti, And again on July 9th the signal was received at 21:55 by Paul Snider in Welland Ont.

They have now applied for an STA 2500 W full time non directional on 850 . Could this be a test to keep 850 on the air full time non directional ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom