• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJZA and WWWE swap calls

Do you or anyone else have any idea of the purpose of this?

It seems to me that each station's current calls are appropriate. WJZA is a Smooth Jazz station, and WWWE, whose frequency is 1100, were the call letters of a 50,000-watt station on 1100 in Cleveland (now WTAM).

Just not sure what this will accomplish unless they are also swapping frequencies.

I thought 1100 was still owned by Beasley, but it is actually now owned by Davis. They are probably going to use 1100 to feed the translators for the jazz format. Didn't someone mention that 1310 has ground and transmitter issues? Maybe they are going to take 1310 silent.

I thought 1100 was still owned by Beasley, but it is actually now owned by Davis. They are probably going to use 1100 to feed the translators for the jazz format. Didn't someone mention that 1310 has ground and transmitter issues? Maybe they are going to take 1310 silent.
Barry, I wasn't aware that 1100 is now owned by Davis. That solves the mystery. 1100 has a better, more centralized signal than 1310. I didn't hear that 1310 was having transmitter issues, but it's certainly possible. Several years ago, 1310's tower on the MARTA parking lot was to have been taken down but as of now, it's still there.

I wonder if they will do something with the 96.5 translator? I wonder why it hasn't been moved to another tower where it doesn't have to be directional away from most of the market or rented to iHeart for "boaster" for 96.7. As for 1100's better coverage, it's not an issue because 101.1 already has issues with WLJA and can't go much farther north with coverage.

I always wondered why CC bought 96.7.

as did I...I worked there as OM for a bit, it was a great place to learn...

This document from the call letter swap application is what alerted me that Davis now owns the signal.

Radio-Locater still has the wrong owner:

FCCData.org has the correct info:

The FCC AM Query page still has the old calls so if I link it here, it will be out of date in a day or two. However, it also shows Davis.

This is what happens when it is the middle of the night and you start down an internet rabbit hole. :)

Is there any scenario where relocating a class C or D AM makes any financial sense? Putting the signal on another (improperly sized) tower doesn't count, such as the 970 Cheshire Bridge tower now hosting 1690 and 1190.

I guess my question are there any class C or D's that would be worth a significant capital investment based on expected revenue?

I note that any directional array left in town is in a floodplain (WCNN, WDWD, Quixie, WAOK, others), making the land much less valuable.

Wasn't that tower designed and built for 680 when it was a 25KW daytimer?
You might be right, if that's the tower mentioned in the FCC records. WRNG started with a tower in Brookhaven (North Atlanta) at 5000W daytime and then moved to a tower in the Cheshire Bridge gulch before moving to the 8-tower array in Ptree Corners.

So that makes 3 signals on an improperly-sized tower. It's my understanding that an AM antenna ideally should be built in accordance with the wavelength; maybe one of the more technical folks could inform us of what that would mean for signal quality.

It's my understanding that an AM antenna ideally should be built in accordance with the wavelength; maybe one of the more technical folks could inform us of what that would mean for signal quality.
Hopefully someone with that expertise will chime in, but it was my impression that power can be adjusted to compensate for a tower that doesn't match the wavelength. For example, when 920 replaced its tower, the new tower required they decrease from 1,000 to 495 watts at night to get the same coverage from the new tower.

The physical height of a tower is a factor. If the new tower is taller than the old tower, the new tower will "radiate" more efficiently . There is a formula (which escapes me at the time) that the FCC will look at to determine the increased efficiency. It is always better to go to a taller tower that was built for a lower frequency. Nott has a good product if the new tower is already grounded with FM, Cell or two way stuff.

Back
Top Bottom