• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJSE- North Cape May relaunches as "Planet 106.3"

Not really. They simulcast so there’s no interference. If you hear first adjacent splatter, tune up or down a notch
Just watched a very interesting documentary online about 106.3 back when it was WHTG in the 80s and 90s. Apparently they were a very important station for fans of what was known as alternative rock or modern rock about a decade before that music became mainstream. Broadcasting from a decrepit old house in a field, a young man who went on to become the program director talked the station manager into switching from beautiful music to rock and roll as part of a school project and they quickly gained a very loyal following. They were literally a mom and pop operation and the station manager lived at the radio station with her cats. One of the former DJ’s told a story about one of the cats wandering into the studio and almost jumping on the turntable while it was on the air. While a lot of that music isn’t exactly my cup of tea, the documentary was very well done and informative and I’m glad I watched it.

I’m not sure what the calls are now on 106.3 but WHTG lives on today as The Breeze on 1410 AM, also broadcasting from Eatontown.

Just watched a very interesting documentary online about 106.3 back when it was WHTG in the 80s and 90s. Apparently they were a very important station for fans of what was known as alternative rock or modern rock about a decade before that music became mainstream. Broadcasting from a decrepit old house in a field, a young man who went on to become the program director talked the station manager into switching from beautiful music to rock and roll as part of a school project and they quickly gained a very loyal following. They were literally a mom and pop operation and the station manager lived at the radio station with her cats. One of the former DJ’s told a story about one of the cats wandering into the studio and almost jumping on the turntable while it was on the air. While a lot of that music isn’t exactly my cup of tea, the documentary was very well done and informative and I’m glad I watched it.

I’m not sure what the calls are now on 106.3 but WHTG lives on today as The Breeze on 1410 AM, also broadcasting from Eatontown.
106.3 in Eatontown is WKMK. They kept the WHTG-FM calls when it flipped from Alternative to CHR in 2009, then in 2010, when "Thunder 98.5" WKMK Ocean Acres moved to the simulcast of 106.3/106.5, the WKMK calls moved there

Am I loosing it but wasn't the 106.3 signal WSLT-FM years back on the current WIBG-FM 94.3 tower in Palermo
Correct that was where the 106.3 Ocean City was located before it moved north to Bass River Township and changed the frequency to 106.5

WJSE 106.3 is now on the old 94.3 WWOC tower off the Avalon causeway. So the way I see it the 94.3 and 106.3 signals swapped towers, question is WHY? and how did they pull that off.
Remember 106.3 North Cape May was the old 106.7 that changed to 106.3 back in 2011. When they first moved to 106.3, they were on a tower just outside of Wildwood on Route 47 (that tower as since been taken down). A few years later they moved about 10 miles north to their current location in Swainton off of Route 9 (not to be confused with the WMGM-TV/WZXL tower on Avalon Boulevard)

As far as 94.3 moving to the Palermo tower (shared with 1020 WWAC & 101.9 W270DV) , my guess there was space to move north as long as they changed to a directional signal (to protect WIP-FM? & WJLK-FM?) I also think they increased their power to 6kw when they moved but not 100% sure of this.

. When they first moved to 106.3, they were on a tower just outside of Wildwood on Route 47 (that tower as since been taken down)

I was in that area last year and I'm sure that tower is still there, home to W209CP and W250AK, with 2 three bay antennas
It started out as the home for WSJL 102.3 Religious way back in the day, 93.1 was also on it when they first launched, now both signals are on the New Jersey Avenue tower.

I was in that area last year and I'm sure that tower is still there, home to W209CP and W250AK, with 2 three bay antennas
It started out as the home for WSJL 102.3 Religious way back in the day, 93.1 was also on it when they first launched, now both signals are on the New Jersey Avenue tower.

That's the tower in Rio Grande where GSP (at Exit 4) meets Route 47. Yes, that tower is still there and is also home to 98.7 WCZT.

The tower 106.3 (and at a time also 98.7) was on is gone. It was located just west of the George Redding Bridge on Route 47 just outside of Wildwood by the now abandoned Islander Family Fun Park. If you do a google maps view of that area you will see the tower there before 2017.

I have some old air checks of it if youd like to hear the station.

I have some old air checks of it if youd like to hear the station.
Actually I was telling a friend of mine about the documentary and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. He told me he listened to the station religiously as a teenager so I’d be interested in the air checks to pass on to him if you could make them available. Greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom