• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Willie 103.5 WLYI Is No More For The Pittsburgh Area

Forever media starting today killed off the classic country branding on the station, and started broadcasting Froggy country on 103.5, as they did prior to 2017. The call letters were also changed from WLYI to WOGH. It just seems that 103.5 is another translator for area, for the Froggy stations 104.3, 94.9, and 105.5

I am able to get this station in New Martinsville, West Virginia. I would have thought the format could have lasted longer, but it was around 5 years, correct? Any numbers, gentlemen and any ladies?

I am able to get this station in New Martinsville, West Virginia. I would have thought the format could have lasted longer, but it was around 5 years, correct? Any numbers, gentlemen and any ladies?
Yeah, they broadcast from WTOV’s tower in Steubenville, so the signal is a little better over that way, but it’s worse east of Pittsburgh (not as reliable of a signal). I’m also surprised they got rid of the format, since they were the only station in the area broadcasting an older country format. But yeah, since they’re gone, Pittsburgh needs a true classic country format to balance out the numerous current country stations. I liked Willie’s format, but I believe it could have been better, since they played the same songs on a regular basis, and they didn’t really have an on-air staff, just a computer.

With three Froggy stations, do they play the same music and same DJs but run different commercials?

94.9 WOGG Oliver
103.5 WOGH Burgettstown
104.3 WOGI Moon Twp.

However, 105.5 WBGI-FM is no longer part of the Froggy chain. It is now owned by the Ohio Midlands Newsgroup and has its own Country format.

With three Froggy stations, do they play the same music and same DJs but run different commercials?

94.9 WOGG Oliver
103.5 WOGH Burgettstown
104.3 WOGI Moon Twp.

However, 105.5 WBGI-FM is no longer part of the Froggy chain. It is now owned by the Ohio Midlands Newsgroup and has its own Country format.
I believe the stations play their own music and have their own DJs, but I knew there were repeaters playing the same music in the past. Just like mentioned before, 105.5 was linked to Froggy 104.3, but as you just mentioned, they are no longer associated with each other. 103.5 used to be a repeater of a Froggy station in Ohio in the past, but I believe they are now their own Froggy station, but I’m not sure. Can anyone else confirm 103.5 is their own Froggy, and not a repeater?

On a related note, did WEDO 810 am and 93.3 FM switch to variety country/classic country. I was tuning through on am, and heard country, waited for an ID, and they said WEDO, something about variety country or something like that. Can anyone confirm? I wasn’t sure if it was a program, or they switched to a classic country format.

94.9 WOGG Oliver
103.5 WOGH Burgettstown
104.3 WOGI Moon Twp.

They have all the same DJ's, just play different commercials.

At one time, the NW of pittsburgh area signals had one morning show and the 94.9? is it.. had its on morning show.... but its all the same now

Continuing from yesterday, I do believe WEDO 810 am, 93.3 fm switched to a variety country/classic country format, similar to Willie 103.5’s format. I listened in today, and they’re still playing country. I believe if you liked Willie’s format, you’re gonna like WEDO’s new format. They play similar music, but there’s more variety with the different songs they play.

This is just ridiculous, too many froggy stations!

Yeah, Froggy stations are often highly rated in smalkler and medium markets.. years ago, when I looked at the Meadville ratings. .froggy was 1st by a large margin

Flipping between the two, I am hearing noticeably more treble frequency response on 103.5, even though my signal on 104.3 is stronger. I noticed it on both my car radio and my Sony XDR-S3HD tabletop unit. This isn't the first time I've heard a significant mismatch in treble response between Forever stations simulcasting each other, either. They certainly do broadcast on the cheap!

This is just ridiculous, too many froggy stations!
Yes, far too much duplication on the FM dial! WOGI and WOGH are just 20 miles from each other. I know it helps with the rugged terrain, but still!! On my Sony in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, I get
  • 104.3 WOGI Moon Township (pretty loud and clear)
  • 103.5 WOGH Burgettstown (a tad of static, but better treble response than 104.3)
  • 105.5 W288BO Pittsburgh (a little more static than 103.5, because of terrain shielding)
  • 95.5 Johnstown (some static, fairly weak)
  • 94.9 Oliver (a lot of static, deep fringe)
Of the five, I would consider the top three to be "listenable". And all of these except 95.5 Johnstown play the EXACT same songs at the EXACT same time!

Flipping between the two, I am hearing noticeably more treble frequency response on 103.5, even though my signal on 104.3 is stronger. I noticed it on both my car radio and my Sony XDR-S3HD tabletop unit. This isn't the first time I've heard a significant mismatch in treble response between Forever stations simulcasting each other, either. They certainly do broadcast on the cheap!
I think (from what I’ve heard) 104.3 FM has more of the Omnia high end distortion sound.

I’ll look into to it Saturday afternoon with a mod monitor and see if any of these stations are using Omnia branded processors by checking their demod values to see if they are 140% and if they are 140% demod that would mean they are using some form of an Omnia processor, rather that be the 7 (iirc), 9, or 11.

Looks like WLYI did pretty okay in the Wheeling market as a classic country station, at least when they subscribed to the book.
But the demos were a bit old for agency buys. The real issue is that Wheeling is market 245 with just over 240,000 population and a total of $4 million in radio revenue while Pittsburgh is market 30 with 2.3 million and $77 million in market revenue.

It does not matter what they get in the Wheeling ratings because that has to be one of the worst markets in the US.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom