• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

will we ever see ratings for WNEW?

Is CBS "afraid" that WTOP will totally trounce WNEW and they don't want it in print? I mean, after all, as long as they are making $$ on the place, the ratings shouldn't matter. But it's gotta be hard for the sales staff to sell the place without any numbers

As anyone with a shred of radio experience knows, news and talk formats don't spike overnight like new music formats. CBS is in for the long haul, which is a minimum of three years. The history of successful news/talk stations is littered with three to five year ramp-ups. KIRO in Seattle went news/talk somewhere around 1974, and didn't hit number 1 until around '78. It then stayed there for most of two decades.

I worked at WTOP 20 years ago at the absolute nadir of its execution of all-news (anyone remember the pan flute sounders?). It got better, with a vengence, over the past decade or so.

Any angst or glee over WNEW's lack of ratings a year into the format is a waste of time. Much like the 5 minute I've wasted writing this post.

I just would like to compare the WNEW ratings to WYAY and KROI. WYAY has been slowly climbing. KROI has been stagnant for a year or so. I would just be nice to look at them. Also, it would give us another thread to start. :)

Rich Johnson said:
As anyone with a shred of radio experience knows, news and talk formats don't spike overnight like new music formats. CBS is in for the long haul, which is a minimum of three years. The history of successful news/talk stations is littered with three to five year ramp-ups. KIRO in Seattle went news/talk somewhere around 1974, and didn't hit number 1 until around '78. It then stayed there for most of two decades.

I worked at WTOP 20 years ago at the absolute nadir of its execution of all-news (anyone remember the pan flute sounders?). It got better, with a vengence, over the past decade or so.

Any angst or glee over WNEW's lack of ratings a year into the format is a waste of time. Much like the 5 minute I've wasted writing this post.
Although I totally, 100% agree with you, that still doesn't answer the question why they are not getting ratings for the station. Log haul is long haul, with or without ratings published.

Yeah... I saw that. I actually posted a comparison on the Atlanta board ratings thread to compare the ratings of all of the new all news stations. Here are the comparisons again... it is interesting since all three stations came about within a few months of each other. I included my comments too:

Sep12 Oct12 Nov12 Dec12 Hol12 Jan13
WNEW-FM
News CBS Radio -- -- 0.9 0.7 0.9 1.3
WYAY-FM
News Cumulus 1.3 1.5 1.5 1.1 1.3 1.4
KROI-FM
News Radio One 1.0 0.9 1.0 0.9 0.8 1.0

This is purely speculation, but from listening to KROI News 92FM, it sounds like Radio One has not made the investment in that operation the way CBS has in WNEW and Cumulus in WYAY. KROI has signal issues over a major chunk of Houston. WNEW has a transmitter that is in the wrong place and their signal does not cover the biggest areas of commuting. WYAY is not really signal handicapped like the other two stations. I do think it is interesting to compare the trends. Of course, this is not the target demos, so it really does not mean much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom