• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will the NBA return to NBC?

Will NBC be able to spend enough get a portion of the NBA package? If so, I heard they may put some games exclusively on peacock. Why not put some games on the USA Network as well? This will help them in terms of ratings for USA and reduce the number of cable subscriptions loss for Comcast.

Will NBC be able to spend enough get a portion of the NBA package? If so, I heard they may put some games exclusively on peacock. Why not put some games on the USA Network as well? This will help them in terms of ratings for USA and reduce the number of cable subscriptions loss for Comcast.
Them wanting to dump/restructure their mlb package is telling. NBA would never allow their games to be streaming only

For Comcast's purposes, there is no need for NBC to bid. Comcast gets paid the same if the games are on TNT or ESPN.

I suspect the NBA rights will be very expensive, and I wouldn't be surprised if NBC-Universal gets a piece of something. But I suspect the formula would have to be USA (or another NBCU network) and Peacock, not one or the other separately.

For Comcast's purposes, there is no need for NBC to bid. Comcast gets paid the same if the games are on TNT or ESPN.

I suspect the NBA rights will be very expensive, and I wouldn't be surprised if NBC-Universal gets a piece of something. But I suspect the formula would have to be USA (or another NBCU network) and Peacock, not one or the other separately.

NBC already has rights to air NBA games but they are on the local level like they air Sacramento Kings and Golden State Warriors games in Northern California. How that translates to national rights is not known to me. NBA League pass rebroadcasts some of the RSN games from NBC Sports local editions for a national audience.

ESPN, TNT probably had enough of overpaying for rights that don’t draw as much. Good for them. the nba will fare even worse if a huge chunk of games do go to Amazon
Reports are Amazon gets the main package. ESPN 80 games down from 100 and retain the Finals. NBC in the mix for the remainder.

CBS did have the NBA in the 1980s. Anyone’s guess whether they want it today.
I'd be surprised if they did. They had the NBA during the first part of the Magic/Bird/Jordan era, and still lost it to NBC. NBC was a far better fit.
Most people have also forgotten that CBS had MLB in the early 1990s.
CBS airing MLB in the '90s was even worse than in the 1960s. They owned the Yankees at the time. The Yanks were old and lousy, but CBS still forced them upon us. At least Dizzy Dean was entertaining. 😁

According to the Wall Street Journal, NBC is reportedly prepared to pay a hefty $2.5 billion annually to broadcast a package of NBA games. This comes as Warner Bros. Discovery continues to fight tooth and nail to maintain its current rights, but NBC is planning to double Warner’s TNT’s average fee of $1.2 billion under its current deal.

Back
Top Bottom