• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will Satellite Antenna Work Inside an Apartment?

I am considering getting a satellite radio system and since I don't have a car, I was going to get the boom box, but will the antenna work inside my apartment or hook it up with an outside satellite antenna or am I better off getting an HD Radio?

It all depends on where you live. If you live in a major city you might be able to pick up the signal from the terrestrial repeater inside your apartment. I can get 100% terrestrial signal inside my condo in Orlando. If you are not near one you would have to keep the antenna by a window. The direction in which your faces will also come into play. Sirius's website give some tips on where to place your antenna. http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Page&cid=1071870446092

yes. but its easier with xm. xm's signal penetrates walls. sirius's doesnt for the most part.

Xm is more reliable inside than Sirius so you might go that route, I had xm for 3 years and even lived in a downstairs apartment with no problems with the Antenna in the window. I have Sirius now and when the antenna was in the window I would heve to move it every few hours to catch the satellite as it moved, I eventually had to mount it up in the roof and now it works like a dream. I would definatly go with satellite before going with HD radio though.

I've had that issue with my Sirius receiver. My bedroom only has 1 window, and faces the east. So the signal could never reach the window. I had to put it outside. The problem I have now is I live in a trailer park, and management lives door, and hates the look of the antenna, and because they're also drunk, they claim it's a speaker making lots of noise one day. The next day it's a spy tool. They've tried removing it, but I've thratened to clober them (even if it means risking eviction) if they try to remove it. They do as they please, but if they see something they don't like, they want it down. I only wished the original management hadn't mismanaged the place, because there was no problem with it before. The current management are constantly drunk.

Dave said:
I've had that issue with my Sirius receiver. My bedroom only has 1 window, and faces the east. So the signal could never reach the window. I had to put it outside. The problem I have now is I live in a trailer park, and management lives door, and hates the look of the antenna, and because they're also drunk, they claim it's a speaker making lots of noise one day. The next day it's a spy tool. They've tried removing it, but I've thratened to clober them (even if it means risking eviction) if they try to remove it. They do as they please, but if they see something they don't like, they want it down. I only wished the original management hadn't mismanaged the place, because there was no problem with it before. The current management are constantly drunk.

dude..please move. sounds like you are in hillbilly hell!!

That little itty bitty antenna bothers Management? You can hardly see the damn thing! I have mine in my apartment Bedroom. I don't even have it in the window. I have it sitting on my TV with a view towards the Northeast. Works perfect for me. I guess I'm lucky.

My apartment faces S and I get a signal 6 hours/day. It comes in for 2 hours then vanishes for 6 than repeats that cycle 2 more times. The manual says to point the antenna NW which is impossible for me. I get a perfect 24 hour signal from XM since their Sat. is over the
equator. If I had an apt across the hall I'd be complaining XM didn't work and Sirius would be fine.

This is the dirty little secret about satellite (or at least Sirius which is the one I'm familair with). If you live in a top floor or near a repeater (50% chance in the suburbs), you're okay

Overall my reception at home has few drop outs but it took months to bo trained fotr mr to find the right spot for the antenna.

My antenna is outside on the window.

smashedcd said:
yes. but its easier with xm. xm's signal penetrates walls. sirius's doesnt for the most part.

XM has at least a marginally stronger signal, won't argue that, but it doesn't penetrate walls any more then Siri does.

The radio plays a part. I started with an XM radio, forgot the model, it was fine with minimal interference in the car. In the house it was ok with the antenna in the window but had to move antenna around sometimes.

Switched to a Sirius Sportster and it wasn't as good in the car and at home it was awful even with the antenna outside.

Switched to Starmate and its a lot better then Sportster, similar to the XM radio in the car. At home didn't work with antenna in window but fine with the outside antenna.

But the starmate still won't get a signal at work even though I sit at a SE window.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom