• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHZZ Lansing-East Lansing Changed To Mike-FM

E

EvanJ1

From All Access Net News:
LANSING, MI has a new “JACK-type” station, as MACDONALD BROADCASTING blows up longtime Top 40 WHZZ (Z101.7) and flips the format to “101.7 MIKE-FM,” according to GM RICK SARATA. OM/morning host JASON ADDAMS exits, as does afternoon driver LISA D. Heard in the first half hour: EMF/Unbelievable, SURVIVOR/Eye of the Tiger, ROB THOMAS/This Is How A Heart Breaks, and BOSTON/Long Time.

> From All Access Net News:
> LANSING, MI has a new “JACK-type” station, as MACDONALD
> BROADCASTING blows up longtime Top 40 WHZZ (Z101.7) and
> flips the format to “101.7 MIKE-FM,” according to GM RICK
> SARATA. OM/morning host JASON ADDAMS exits, as does
> afternoon driver LISA D. Heard in the first half hour:
> EMF/Unbelievable, SURVIVOR/Eye of the Tiger, ROB THOMAS/This
> Is How A Heart Breaks, and BOSTON/Long Time.
>
What a stupid move! As bad as I've always heard Z101.7 was, it was number 5 in the market and from the ratings this time last year, it was number 2! So I guess that leaves a void for CHR in Lansing. I hope how soon this Mike/Ben/Bob/Jack/Simon, etc. phase goes through. I've heard Jack FM in Indianapolis and I didn't see anything special about the format, I couldn't listen for more than 5 minutes.

Goodbye Z101.7, even though they dont know it yet, Lansing will miss you!

Brandon

> > From All Access Net News:
> > LANSING, MI has a new “JACK-type” station, as MACDONALD
> > BROADCASTING blows up longtime Top 40 WHZZ (Z101.7) and
> > flips the format to “101.7 MIKE-FM,” according to GM RICK
> > SARATA. OM/morning host JASON ADDAMS exits, as does
> > afternoon driver LISA D. Heard in the first half hour:
> > EMF/Unbelievable, SURVIVOR/Eye of the Tiger, ROB
> THOMAS/This
> > Is How A Heart Breaks, and BOSTON/Long Time.
> >
> What a stupid move! As bad as I've always heard Z101.7 was,
> it was number 5 in the market and from the ratings this time
> last year, it was number 2! So I guess that leaves a void
> for CHR in Lansing. I hope how soon this
> Mike/Ben/Bob/Jack/Simon, etc. phase goes through. I've heard
> Jack FM in Indianapolis and I didn't see anything special
> about the format, I couldn't listen for more than 5 minutes.
>
>
> Goodbye Z101.7, even though they dont know it yet, Lansing
> will miss you!
>
> Brandon

Speculation over on the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard is that the sports simulcast on 92.1 and 92.7 (WTXQ and WQTX, respectively) are the most likely candidates to flip to CHR to fill the whole, or possibly WQHH (urban contemp. at 96.5). Recently, though, the idea has been proposed that Citadel could flip one of it's stations (either classic rocker WMMQ at 94.9 or oldies outlet WJIM at 97.5) and make it a Lansing-based clone of WIOG in Bay City. WIOG regularly makes it into the Lansing-East Lansing books, and a similar station based locally would probably do very, very well.

Post 925 dedicated to 92.5 WVKS, Toldedo; one CHR that, while not what it used to be, is still pretty good, and would probably show up in the Lansing Arbs too if the signal were strong enough to make it up there.<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie
http://theradioblog.blogspot.com</P>

Maybe the move was economic.

Most "Jack"-type formats run without live announcers.

MacDonald Broadcasting has probably saved a lot of money by making this change.

I would daresay that at least half of the flips to "Jack"-type formats around the country over the last six months were made to cut costs and increase profits.

--Since you brought it up-- Re: WHZZ Lansing-East Lansing Changed To Mike-FM

> Post 925 dedicated to 92.5 WVKS, Toldedo; one CHR that,
> while not what it used to be, is still pretty good, and
> would probably show up in the Lansing Arbs too if the signal
> were strong enough to make it up there.
>

Take a look at Mediabase.

About 2 weeks ago, they went with a much more adult lean throughout the day, especially the mid-day hours.
Doesn't make much sense to me, they are still handling Tower 98.
Maybe this will change that now.

Re: WJIM-FM Changed To CHR-Pop

WJIM-FM, the Citadel Oldies station that was second in the Lansing-East Lansing ratings, changed to CHR-Pop.

> WJIM-FM, the Citadel Oldies station that was second in the
> Lansing-East Lansing ratings, changed to CHR-Pop.
>
What are they positioning themselves as? What kind of imaging are they using? Are there any other oldies stations in listening range?

> > WJIM-FM, the Citadel Oldies station that was second in the
>
> > Lansing-East Lansing ratings, changed to CHR-Pop.
> >
> What are they positioning themselves as? What kind of
> imaging are they using? Are there any other oldies stations
> in listening range?

Right now they're working under the temporary brand "The New 97-5". The imaging, while quickly put together, sounds fairly decent (great work for what little time they did it in), and while they currently are jockless, they plan on having a morning show up and on the air pretty soon. As for other oldies stations, there really aren't any. There's WHNN in Flint (the tower is actually outside of Bay City), but it's next to impossible to pull in.

Post 927 dedicated to my favorite 92.7 of all time, WKIE, Arlington Heights, Illinois... one of the former frequencies of the ORIGINAL Energy 92-7&5, Chicago and Northern Illinois' Dance Hits!<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie
http://theradioblog.blogspot.com</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom