• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why work in radio anymore?

smedge2006 said:
So tell me again why we deified CEOs for thirty years as they hollowed out our economy... and radio stations...

Personally I don't understand that deification, but I know you're right that CEOs have been turned into celebrities, starting with Gates, Trump, and others. It makes no sense to me. Turning what they do into reality shows isn't entertainment to me, but maybe we as Americans need some form of royalty. In the 60s, we had the Kennedys. Now we have Donald Trump. And I don't see it changing, even though there is a kind of anti-corporate populism sweeping the country. It hasn't caused anyone to blame the celebrity CEOs. Just the nameless faceless ones.

SirRoxalot said:
I think that most people are happy if they're fairly compensated for the work that they do. It's a little tough to swallow that a CEO is worth nearly 39 times what the average worker makes.

Yeah, and it's probably easy for you to rationalize that the guy at bat makes about a thousand times what the guy selling the Dodger Dogs makes. Great talent makes more than lesser talent and lesser talent makes more than the non-talented in any field.

Who actually produces the product, sells that product, and creates the profit that everyone in the company is supposed to benefit from? And that number doesn't include a lot of the perks like corporate jets, million-dollar bathrooms, and multi-million dollar office suites.

The management team determines what the product is, when it needs replacing or refreshing, how to maket it, how many to make so as to not flooded with inventory and how to price it against the competion. The skills in multiple areas are more than just knowing how things are done... they are about visualizing how a company can manage facilities, markets, competiton, staff, raw materials, purchasing, distribution and make a profit from the strategy. Very few do it well, which is why good management talent should make a lot of money just as a good athlete, singer or comedian should be rewarded for being exceptional in their field.

If I were to need surgery, I would want the guy cutting me to be well rewarded and well motivated. I would not want him worrying about his J.C. Penny bill while he is supposed to be making me better..

As taxpayes, we support those compensation rates. The companies can write off the entire cost of compensation, reducing their tax liability. The rest of the taxpayers have to make up the difference.

That's dumb. Compensation is taxed at personal income rates, which in the case of high pay scales in high tax states, amounts to over 50% of the pay. That is higher than the corporate rate, so the government makes out big time with high salaries.

All business expense is a "write off" since what is taxed is the profit, or what is left after expenses.

It's not even a matter of competing with other countries. Compensation rates in Europe, Asia, and Australia are considerably lower.

If you look at the compensation for executives of large corporations of the same revenue levels, you will find that the CEO of Nissan probably makes more than the CEO of GM did... and the CEO of Lever is paid similarly to the CEO of P&G or Colgate and the CEO of BP earns comparably to the CEO of Chevron... and so on.

Keep in mind that the best executives get plenty of offers... and to keep them, their employer may give more money. And to get them, anoter company may offer more money still.

Even stockholders have no say in executive pay,

Most never have had any say... but if you own enough shares, as an individual or as a pension fund, mutual fund or trust, you can even get on the board and influnece such things.

and the "old boys club" has gotten greedy. You don't even have to be GOOD at your job as a CEO to make millions. You can collect millions for bankrupting the company.

Many CEOs or COOs are hired to save declining businesses, and are paid well for getting the best out of a bad situation... such as the people who looked over the liquidation of many of the steel companies.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party. Obviously the posters here still care about radio, we all do otherwise we wouldn't be here. The business is going through a lot of change right now. Radio is all I ever wanted to do, and unfortunately even though I have proved I can do other things I keep thinking about radio and how much I enjoyed coming to work each day.

All that comes at a price. I'm not very well set for my retirement which is coming at me faster than a speeding train. Radio doesn't want listeners over 55 and lets face it unless you made it big nobody wants talent over 55 either.

I didn't get into radio to try to be a star, I just liked playing music for people and also found that I had a decent talent for doing production although there are many out there as good or better than I am. After awhile I enjoyed doing production even more than on-air. Find the right music or effect to use that will highlight the copy and the unlimited number of ways you can say something to hone the message.

The frustraiting thing is I know that today with my life experience I could do a much better job than I did before. The problem is I also need to make more than the average 20 year old who's still living at home or with roomates.

Let's face it computers and consolidation have allowed stations to get rid of a lot of overhead. Radio was never a secure career choice but now other fields are about as bad with high turnover rates and fewer opportunities. One thing is for sure today no matter what you do in radio you better put the ego away, bring a lot to the table and be ready to work 10 times harder every day. There's no room for just average talent.

You're correct Mike; radio in particular has never been the most stable career field to get into. Either you love the business and are willing to evolve professionally during the periods of constant evolution, or you go do something that better fits your personality and in some cases, level of insecurity.

Several years ago I made the transition from radio to television professionally, but remain as part owner of several small market radio stations. As with any career that gets into one's blood, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart (and apparently head), for the grandfather of them all..radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom