• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why hasnt any station done this?

M

midwestclubber

Okay, First off, this is what I would have done with KDL in DALLAS, If they were smart enough to hire me. Daytimes, would be a mix of Dance, with some Rhtyhmic-POP-and Rock thrown in. Come 6 or 7.00 P.M, Bring in the best DJs you can find, either Local in House, or international DJs, have the station be all Dance, (REAL CLUB BANGERS) and All Mixshows, up untill 2 or 3 A.M, then go back to the Normal DANCE-TOP 40 format. Do that every day of the week, like some of the european stations do, like BEAT 106 in the UK.

> Okay, First off, this is what I would have done with KDL in
> DALLAS, If they were smart enough to hire me. Daytimes,
> would be a mix of Dance, with some Rhtyhmic-POP-and Rock
> thrown in. Come 6 or 7.00 P.M, Bring in the best DJs you
> can find, either Local in House, or international DJs, have
> the station be all Dance, (REAL CLUB BANGERS) and All
> Mixshows, up untill 2 or 3 A.M, then go back to the Normal
> DANCE-TOP 40 format. Do that every day of the week, like
> some of the european stations do, like BEAT 106 in the UK.
>
I think alot of KDL's problems was that it was a rim shot.

> > Okay, First off, this is what I would have done with KDL
> in
> > DALLAS, If they were smart enough to hire me. Daytimes,
> > would be a mix of Dance, with some Rhtyhmic-POP-and Rock
> > thrown in. Come 6 or 7.00 P.M, Bring in the best DJs you
>
> > can find, either Local in House, or international DJs,
> have
> > the station be all Dance, (REAL CLUB BANGERS) and All
> > Mixshows, up untill 2 or 3 A.M, then go back to the Normal
>
> > DANCE-TOP 40 format. Do that every day of the week, like
> > some of the european stations do, like BEAT 106 in the UK.
>
> >
> I think alot of KDL's problems was that it was a rim shot.
>
It wasnt that Bad really, I was there, It covers the Whole market, and about 50 or 60 miles farther south. Of course this was with a Car Radio, so I assume some of the Office Bulidings had Reception problems still, But KDL would stop on the SEEK Button in my car, almost anywhere in Dallas. And over in Fort Worth, the signal was crystal clear, way better than Energy az signal.

I don't think Beat 106 is doing that anymore, last I heard (and read) they had moved more mainstream.

Remember 1 thing about the UK. Dance records account for 15% of CD single sales in the UK. I don't know what they account for in the USA, but I bet you it's less than half of 1 percent. Totally different world over there.

> > >
> > I think alot of KDL's problems was that it was a rim shot.
>
> >
> It wasnt that Bad really, I was there, It covers the Whole
> market, and about 50 or 60 miles farther south. Of course
> this was with a Car Radio, so I assume some of the Office
> Bulidings had Reception problems still, But KDL would stop
> on the SEEK Button in my car, almost anywhere in Dallas.
> And over in Fort Worth, the signal was crystal clear, way
> better than Energy az signal.
>

> I don't think Beat 106 is doing that anymore, last I heard
> (and read) they had moved more mainstream.
>
> Remember 1 thing about the UK. Dance records account for
> 15% of CD single sales in the UK. I don't know what they
> account for in the USA, but I bet you it's less than half of
> 1 percent. Totally different world over there.
> It wasnt just Beat 106, there are several European stations that do this. Tempo fm in Belgium does this, The world famous KISS fm LONDON does it, Without Rock. Even z1035 does it on Weekends. There is also CLUB DANCE RADIO 89.1 in Italy, that has a Top 40-Dance format by day, and Dj sets at night. There is also (Radio Nova ERA), Cyprus Radio Deejay ect, ect.,,,,The old IDT radio in Holland did it........ Check out the list of European Dance stations that Chrles makes for us, you will find a Crap load of stations doing this same Philosiphy. The only reason I can think of for not doing this, is Advertisers.
> > > >
> > > I think alot of KDL's problems was that it was a rim
> shot.
> >
> > >
> > It wasnt that Bad really, I was there, It covers the Whole
>
> > market, and about 50 or 60 miles farther south. Of course
>
> > this was with a Car Radio, so I assume some of the Office
> > Bulidings had Reception problems still, But KDL would stop
>
> > on the SEEK Button in my car, almost anywhere in Dallas.
> > And over in Fort Worth, the signal was crystal clear, way
> > better than Energy az signal.
> >
>

Like I said man, the UK and much of Europe embrace dance-pop much more than the American populace. This wouldn't work in the USA.

**off topic, but if you've never gone to the UK, and you're a dance fan, I suggest you make the trip.

Re: Why hasnt any station done this? * Q102 kinda does

Q102/PHILADELPHIA is kinda doing something like that. Well, actually they only have one person doing their mixes and they don't do them in hours-long blocks like you've suggested. During the kiddie's peak-listening hours, they kick off the hours with what they refer to as a "shorties." A Q102 shorty is not a female, nor is it a small hoagie at Wawa: It's a tiny little mix show. I guess they last from ten to fifteen minutes maybe.

Otherwise, Q102 is a rather bland, straight-forward Mainstream CHR although lately they've been adding a noticeable amount of Urban Gold and Classic Freeystle.

They are a CCCCCHR for the most part (that stands for "cookie-cutter Clear Channel CHR") but they make market-dictated adjustments from time to time. They also pitch everything up, which they have been doing for the last ten to fifteen years. It's really annoying though since a lot of rhythmic stuff is already pitched up when the radio version is mixed.

> Okay, First off, this is what I would have done with KDL in
> DALLAS, If they were smart enough to hire me. Daytimes,
> would be a mix of Dance, with some Rhtyhmic-POP-and Rock
> thrown in. Come 6 or 7.00 P.M, Bring in the best DJs you
> can find, either Local in House, or international DJs, have
> the station be all Dance, (REAL CLUB BANGERS) and All
> Mixshows, up untill 2 or 3 A.M, then go back to the Normal
> DANCE-TOP 40 format. Do that every day of the week, like
> some of the european stations do, like BEAT 106 in the UK.
>

Re: Why hasnt any station done this? * Q102 kinda does

> those mix shows have very very few if any dance tracks in
> them.
>

That's true. None of the hardcore dance stuff but he's been using a lot of dance-club remixes of current pop hits. They are songs that get played in clubs so I'd have to say I still consider it to be dance music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom