• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why Are Amazon's Shows So Dark In 4K?

http://tvpredictions.com/amazon020917.htm

The flaws of a 4kTV and default settings are discussed.

One possible cause for the issue is that Amazon's streaming app has only one setting for 4K: 'HDR Standard.' Netflix, however, offers three settings for 4K: Standard, Bright Room and Vivid. This permits the user to choose a brighter image if desired.

One CE industry source tells me that Amazon wants to offer just one setting because, in its view, it guarantees that the picture will be darker, which is more cinematic; that's also the preferred choice of many directors and, the source says, Amazon is supporting their preference by only offering 'HDR standard.' (I asked Amazon about this theory, but again, the company will not comment.)

But today's consumers have come to expect a brighter picture and the 'HDR standard' setting will not deliver it unless the set owner manually changes the brightness level, which is problematic unless he or she has some knowledge of picture calibration. While the set owner might make the picture brighter, he or she could wind up making it even worse by incorrectly changing the other settings.

The Amazon 'dark effect' illustrates one of the problems facing the 4K industry. Whether viewed via streaming on Netflix or Amazon, or on a Blu-ray 4K disc, the 4K picture quality is very inconsistent. Some shows look better than others while some require changes to the TV's settings before you can appreciate any difference in the 4K picture.

For instance, on my LG OLED, some Netflix 4K shows such as Marco Polo and The Ridiculous 6 were encumbered with the 'soap opera effect' when I first started watching them. (if you're not familiar with the soap opera effect, the show looks like it was shot with a video camera rather than a traditional film camera. The result can be glaring and very unrealistic.)

However, after I turned off LG's TruMotion setting, the soap opera effect went away, and the picture improved dramatically.

My guess is that we haven't heard more complaints from average consumers because so little programming is in 4K; people are likely still using their 4K TVs to largely watch High-Definition programming.

But as more 4K TVs are sold, and more programming becomes available in 4K, industry leaders and set manufacturers will need to address this problem or risk a backlash from consumers who can't understand why 4K's picture is either not better, or perhaps a bit worse than HD.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom