• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why Adult Standards should be on the radio

I've recently purchased Adult Standards music and put them on my iPod. It's a sure way to get my Adult Standards fix these days. However, I think that Adult Standards should be on the radio because I want current and future generations to be exposed to the music. Right now, they are being exposed to rock, pop, dance, and hip hop. Because many radio markets don't have Adult Standards stations, current and future generations won't be exposed to the beauty of Adult Standards music. If they are exposed to Adult Standards music, they just might purchase that kind of music when they need a break from rock, pop, dance, hip hop, and other "ugly" music formats. If it's not feasible for radio stations to play Adult Standards 24/7, here are some possibilities:

CHR/Top 40 stations should play Adult Standards music every Sunday because people typically go to church every Sunday and that day is also known as the day of rest, not to mention the Chordettes and Don Costa did an Adult Standards tune titled "Never on Sunday" and the lyrics contain the phrase "'cause that's my day of rest." Because kids typically listen to CHR/Top 40 music, Adult Standards music should be shoved down their throats every Sunday. Listening to Adult Standards music should be a family tradition on Sundays.

AC stations should concentrate on the classics on weekends, retreat from Matchbox 20, Sugar Ray, Train, Kelly Clarkson, etc., and focus on the Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Anne Murray, Johnny Mathis, the Platters, Herb Alpert, etc. People get enough of the current stuff during the week, and the unforgettable classics can help them relax and unwind on the weekends.

Adult Standards music IMHO is beautiful and should not be ignored.<P ID="signature">______________
Ivan Badget
Waipahu, Hawaii</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ivan Badget on 02/09/06 08:44 AM.</FONT></P>

Because kids
> typically listen to CHR/Top 40 music, Adult Standards music
> should be shoved down their throats every Sunday. Listening
> to Adult Standards music should be a family tradition on
> Sundays.

Nuh uh uh. #1 mistake you made in your argument. "We should shove the music down people's throats". NEVER EVER EVER argue that a genere of music should be shoved down people's throats.

People will pick and choose the music they like and for you to suggest otherwise is dictatorship. Prehaps you support our current goverment?
>
> Adult Standards music IMHO is beautiful and should not be
> ignored.
>

But arguing for a forcement of such music should be.<P ID="signature">______________
Happy 20th Birthday Power 106

JOSH, Moderating the whole Radio-Info radio state of California and Indiana too!

www.myspace.com/radiogeek500</P>

> Because kids
> > typically listen to CHR/Top 40 music, Adult Standards
> music
> > should be shoved down their throats every Sunday.
> Listening
> > to Adult Standards music should be a family tradition on
> > Sundays.
>
> Nuh uh uh. #1 mistake you made in your argument. "We should
> shove the music down people's throats". NEVER EVER EVER
> argue that a genere of music should be shoved down people's
> throats.
>
> People will pick and choose the music they like and for you
> to suggest otherwise is dictatorship. Prehaps you support
> our current goverment?
> >
> > Adult Standards music IMHO is beautiful and should not be
> > ignored.
> >
>
I would think that Adult/Standards should be on the radio because, if it were done well, it would be a viable format that would reach affluent adults with disposable income. In some ways, it would draw from classical stations since they also draw from a mature, affluent audience and it would also draw older adults away from the Adult/Contemporaries and News/Talks.

There is a great body of music out there that is timeless, done not only by the more traditional artists but by younger artists as well. Typically, as is the case with MOYL, the presentation is dreadful: no production, no jingles, no enthusiasm. Yet, when all of the elements are there: music, personalities, news and information and non-program elements, I am confident that such a station could survive and even thrive.
> But arguing for a forcement of such music should be.
>

> > Because kids
> > > typically listen to CHR/Top 40 music, Adult Standards
> > music
> > > should be shoved down their throats every Sunday.
> > Listening
> > > to Adult Standards music should be a family tradition on
>
> > > Sundays.
> >
> > Nuh uh uh. #1 mistake you made in your argument. "We
> should
> > shove the music down people's throats". NEVER EVER EVER
> > argue that a genere of music should be shoved down
> people's
> > throats.
> >
> > People will pick and choose the music they like and for
> you
> > to suggest otherwise is dictatorship. Prehaps you support
> > our current goverment?
> > >
> > > Adult Standards music IMHO is beautiful and should not
> be
> > > ignored.
> > >
> >
> I would think that Adult/Standards should be on the radio
> because, if it were done well, it would be a viable format
> that would reach affluent adults with disposable income. In
> some ways, it would draw from classical stations since they
> also draw from a mature, affluent audience and it would also
> draw older adults away from the Adult/Contemporaries and
> News/Talks.
>
> There is a great body of music out there that is timeless,
> done not only by the more traditional artists but by younger
> artists as well. Typically, as is the case with MOYL, the
> presentation is dreadful: no production, no jingles, no
> enthusiasm. Yet, when all of the elements are there: music,
> personalities, news and information and non-program
> elements, I am confident that such a station could survive
> and even thrive.
> > But arguing for a forcement of such music should be.
> >
>
I don't think people who don't actually remember how the music used to sound understand how it is supposed to sound. While flipping by my local Adult Standards station, I heard a duet of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" performed as a standard. It made Neil Sedaka's slowed down version sound like a "classic", by comparison! They harmonized but weren't melodious and it was just plain painful to listen to! Has anyone else noticed new artists taking this approach to standards?

> I don't think people who don't actually remember how the
> music used to sound understand how it is supposed to sound.
> While flipping by my local Adult Standards station, I heard
> a duet of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" performed as a
> standard. It made Neil Sedaka's slowed down version sound
> like a "classic", by comparison! They harmonized but
> weren't melodious and it was just plain painful to listen
> to! Has anyone else noticed new artists taking this
> approach to standards?

Your post made me recall something interesting I heard on a local part-time standards program the other day. Right after a Carpenters song, the comment was made about how Karen Carpenter would fare today. She has one of the most beautiful voices of all time, yet her singing style would probably not get her very far on American Idol, where they sound like they're being examined from behind with a cold medical instrument.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom