• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who besides me ---

R

rbrucecarter5

--- wouldn't pay a dime for the Beatles mono mix - when stereo versions exist - let alone $250. We finally have heard the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" in stereo - I'll never listen to it in mono again!!!

It's the old mono vs. stereo record problem, all over again.

While I'm not sure I particularly care about hearing Sgt. Pepper in mono, many/most of their earlier songs had much more "punch" on the mono 45 versions. Between the fake stereo and the bad mixing, the stereo mixes from the pre-Rubber Soul era are pretty thin sounding. "Eight Days A Week" is one that immediately comes to mind. Thing is, we've heard the stereo mixes for so long that they've become the "correct" mix when in reality stereo was an afterthought in those days.
When I programmed an oldies station in the mid 80s I tried to track down the 45 versions because that's where the production effort went & in most cases they just sounded better.

That having been said, I think I'll pass on the mono box set myself.

For stereo fans, Eric Records (ericrecords.com) just released Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1958: More Pop Gold with first time stereo versions of To Know Him Is To Love Him by The Teddy Bears (too bad Phil Spector will never get to hear it) and Magic Moments by Perry Como plus David Seville's Witch Doctor and The Bird On My Head, Lou Monte's Lazy Mary, Born Too Late by The Poni-Tails and a bunch of other hard-to-find stuff in stereo let alone mono...

PS...if you place an order mention you heard about it on Radio Bop!

radiobop said:
For stereo fans, Eric Records (ericrecords.com) just released Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1958: More Pop Gold with first time stereo versions of To Know Him Is To Love Him by The Teddy Bears (too bad Phil Spector will never get to hear it) and Magic Moments by Perry Como plus David Seville's Witch Doctor and The Bird On My Head, Lou Monte's Lazy Mary, Born Too Late by The Poni-Tails and a bunch of other hard-to-find stuff in stereo let alone mono...

PS...if you place an order mention you heard about it on Radio Bop!

As has been mentioned before on this board, there are 3 types of '50s/early'60s "stereo" recordings....................re-mixed, re-processed, and re-recorded. Since most original singles were issued in mono, re-mixed would be my only choice over mono. K-Tell & Dominion were famous for re-recordings. I'm sure that Eric uses the originals...............I'm curious to see if they are re-mixed or re-processed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom