• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When did many classic hits radio stations start playing the version of “It’s my life” from Talk Talk instead of No Doubt?

From a completely subjective standpoint, I’ve always thought that the Talk Talk version of “It’s my life” is the FAR superior version. I usually just tune out if I hear the No Doubt version.

From an objective standpoint, it seems like the No Doubt version was popular (perhaps even more so than the original) for quite some time. Now it seems like every classic hits radio station has embraced the original version, even stations with a very tight playlist. While I’m certainly glad to hear this version is now getting so much airplay, I’m curious if it’s always been this way, or if this is a new phenomenon.

Audacy's KKHH 95.7 The Spot in Houston has both versions in regular rotation. The No Doubt release seems to be played a bit more often.

If I have to choose, I'll take the original, but I enjoy the cover version as well.

Audacy's KKHH 95.7 The Spot in Houston has both versions in regular rotation. The No Doubt release seems to be played a bit more often.

If I have to choose, I'll take the original, but I enjoy the cover version as well.
It seems like Audacy prefers the No Doubt version while iheart prefers the original. I’m sure that rule doesn’t apply to every station of course.

It seems like Audacy prefers the No Doubt version while iheart prefers the original. I’m sure that rule doesn’t apply to every station of course.
Pretty sure the No Doubt version climbed higher on the charts (#7) than the original from Talk Talk (#20). That, and if given the choice, most PD's would choose a version from 2004 than a song from the 80's. Helps bolster an audience in more of a demo-sweet-spot, than defaulting to an older version.

From a completely subjective standpoint, I’ve always thought that the Talk Talk version of “It’s my life” is the FAR superior version. I usually just tune out if I hear the No Doubt version.

From an objective standpoint, it seems like the No Doubt version was popular (perhaps even more so than the original) for quite some time. Now it seems like every classic hits radio station has embraced the original version, even stations with a very tight playlist. While I’m certainly glad to hear this version is now getting so much airplay, I’m curious if it’s always been this way, or if this is a new phenomenon.
Consider this one retro 90's and 2000's are under consideration now given that demos are at play here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom