• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's the point of WGBX 44?

I've been wondering about why WGBX 44, WGBH's auxiliary PBS station, is still on the air. It's not available on any streaming platforms, and I think all it is is rebroadcasts of programs that had previously been on WGBH. Although I think that's what it's always been. But I noticed that with a lot of PBS stations now, you can actually watch the feed right on their website. You can watch the main GBH 2, GBH World, and GBH Kids on the website, but not GBH 44, or GBH Create. I've even noticed sometimes WGBH and WGBX are airing the exact same programs, such as on Saturday morning with the kids shows (with some minor differences). So why is it even on anymore?

WGBX 44 still has a place in channel line-ups on cable systems and satellite services. So I suppose that's why WGBH doesn't want to give it up.

Several larger cities have two or even three PBS affiliates. In NYC, WNET 13 also controls WLIW 21 and WNJM 50/58. All three PBS affiliates alternate their schedules so it's rare they would run the same show at the same time. (I'm surprised WGBH and WGBX sometimes does this. Makes no sense.)

In the late 1900s a commercial broadcaster couldn't own more than one TV station in a market. But that was not the case for non-commercial broadcasters. So that's how WGBH 2 got another station on Channel 44.

Hahaha.

As a kid, I thought Channel 44 existed so that you had a place to watch Sesame Street, Mistier Rogers, et. al. while Channel 2 was in pledge weeks. But I also recall 44 simulcasting those kids shows even during non-pledge weeks.

Hahaha.

As a kid, I thought Channel 44 existed so that you had a place to watch Sesame Street, Mistier Rogers, et. al. while Channel 2 was in pledge weeks. But I also recall 44 simulcasting those kids shows even during non-pledge weeks.
I thought the same thing. Because during pledge weeks when the shows would be edited, I think channel 44 aired the full-length versions of the shows. We also had channel 11 from NH and channel 36 from RI (we still do).

Hahaha.

That’s what I thought too!

WGBX is still on Comcast, Verizon, and DirecTV Satellite. But it’s not on DirecTV Stream or YouTube TV.

Charter and RCN only carry the station’s SD feed.

Back
Top Bottom