• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whatever happened to Eric Brandon at Majic 102-7FM

Stormychuck

Inactive
Inactive User
I had heard it was a sour subject and although CC blew him out a number of years ago any clue as to where he ended up?

Stormychuck said:
I had heard it was a sour subject and although CC blew him out a number of years ago any clue as to where he ended up?

That's an interesting comment since he never worked for CC. Majic is owned by Jeff-Pilot or whatever insurance conglomerate bought them. They are the ones who did the deed.

Last I heard he was doing work for Beasley...maybe at Kiss Country? Don't know for sure.

Wow shows ya just how long I've been out of the business, and all this time I thought CC owned
WMXJ. Thanks for the response ya'll...

No way, Chuck. People like yourself have forgotten more about this business than many people ever knew to start with. Eric's been a great jock on South Florida radio for many years; glad he's on the air.

Speculation has run rampant for years and it's been said on this very board; had Cox, CC, pick any major conglomerate broadcasting firm, gotten their hands on WMXJ instead of Jefferson-Pilot Communications (now Lincoln Financial Media) back in October, 1993 when Sconnix was selling off their properties, they wouldn't have stuck with the oldies format as long as they have. I SAID IT; OLDIES! ;D The station would have been toast and LONG gone.

On the other hand, CC was LMA'ing Ackerley (sp?) Broadcasting's Ft. Lauderdale property at the time......WAXY 106. Wonder how that would've played into the flip to BIG106 as all 70s about a year later.

Same for Cox; would we have been looking at 102.7 The Point: 80s and More? Or 102-7 The Eagle? Rock 103?

Don't forget about Bud Paxson and his little empire that he sold to CC in 1998 (?) - what would have they done with it? He DID flip Oldies 94.3 in WPB from 50s-early 70s to something similar of what Majic sounds like now.

Of course all speculation, the magic 'what if' plays upon us and Majic's still playing the oldies. But it's interesting to think about.........

RadioGuy2004 thanks for that nice response. Working in South Florida Radio umpteen years ago I had the pleasure of working with Eric Brandon while at WIOD/97AIA, we were both working on the FM at the time.

Eric had a true on-air natural sound that I can remember and fit right in, I knew he went to Majic 102.7 when Rick Peter's a former boss of mine from ZETA-4 and Love-94 was running the show at Majic (Rick Peter's is currently CEO of Bluewater Broadcasting Montgomery, Alabama) if anybody should be interested, Eric doing country Music radio is no surprise since he had a back round in country music I'm interested to stream his show and give him a listen sometime.

WAXY-106FM, which you mentioned, I think I got out of there while the going was good just before they cleaned house, but here's cool part about working at WAXY-FM, as a kid growing up in South Florida we all listened to Rick Shaw, He was South Florida radio, (and probably he was my most single influence into radio) so by the time I went to work for WAXY I had 20 years in the radio business, Rick Shaw was still working for WAXY doing afternoons and I followed him at nights 7-mid, Rick was always a nice guy, and working in the same station with a guy that we all listened to as kids was the best treat of all, I guess I thought I had really made it in the business....LOL........What a surprise...!

I always Eric Brandon did a great job on Magic.

Though he certainly came off as a jerk on Wife Swap as I recall. Not that I would watch something called Wife Swap mind you.

Chuck you think you worked in S.FL radio umpteen years ago? I worked there when dinosaurs roamed the earth!

I worked at WAXY 106 before Rick Shaw got there.
I worked at WFTL when it was at 1400 still playing current music!
I worked at 710 when it was still doing English programming....same with 1320.
I worked at 102.7 when we had a Kangaroo for a mascot and a very strange rock format.

Oh well, that's history as they say!

Mike Sheridan said:
Chuck you think you worked in S.FL radio umpteen years ago? I worked there when dinosaurs roamed the earth!

I worked at 102.7 when we had a Kangaroo for a mascot and a very strange rock format.

Mike, if this will make you feel any better and for the sake of making you sound older I remember listening to YOU on each and everyone of the stations you've listed, and yes you were one of Miami's top radio dog's and like the rest of us you made the Miami radio rounds, playin the "HITS" but I'm sure you can't say we didn't have FUN!

Stormychuck said:
Mike Sheridan said:

Mike, if this will make you feel any better and for the sake of making you sound older I remember listening to YOU on each and everyone of the stations you've listed, and yes you were one of Miami's top radio dog's and like the rest of us you made the Miami radio rounds, playin the "HITS" but I'm sure you can't say we didn't have FUN!

I'm always surprised when someone remembers me, thanks. It was a long time ago and I don't really consider myself one of the top dogs. I was just (mostly) lucky, being in the right place at the right time. I do agree it was great fun! Radio is all I ever wanted to do and I actually got the chance to do it, working for and with some amazing people.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom