• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What year did KRMG stop playing music?

I was just thinking about the days when 74 KRMG actually played music along with news and other information.

I recall them being a full service AC station in the early 90s playing music along the likes of Amy Grant, Gloria Estefan and Michael Bolton. I remember Ann Williams in the afternoon drive would play what would seem to be a few songs an hour in between news, traffic and weather updates (back in those days, Gary Shore from KJRH did the weather updates).

As the rise of Rush and other talk programs became more popular in the mid 90s, the amount of music was dwindling before it completely evolved to a full time news/talk outlet. Anybody recall when KRMG stopped playing music altogether? Does anyone have any airchecks of KRMG back in those days?

JohnDurkee said:
The year was 1995..... shortly after the Oklahoma City Bombing.
That's what I was thinking....seems like '95 was the last time I recall music. If anyone would know, it would be you!

I had the privilege of working at KRMG from 1974 to 1976 as production director. I shared a little office with Jim Back and Watson Jelks and behind our office was a tiny office/production room for Ed Brocksmith. It was during that period that KRMG went from playing “Good Music” to playing early adult contemporary. At least once a week, sometimes more often, when Watson got off the air, Ron Blue would call him into his office and rail at him for talking too much and not playing enough music. Watson had gradually begun taking a lot of phone calls from listeners, and had almost doubled the morning shows already enormous ratings. Those were the days on the 23rd floor of the Liberty Towers Building. KRMG DJ’s putting listeners on the air was really not frowned on at the time, and we all did it…but only to a limited extent though. That was of the things that made KRMG different from the other stations in Tulsa.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom