• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What should have been played in the 80s

wxman76 said:
qid937 said:
Pretty much any cut off Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast album expect for "Your Not Drinking Enough". "The Boys of Summer" and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" both where released as singles and Henley's best charting solo hits. Still so many great album tracks that would have fit on radio.

"Sunset Grill" is among his most underrated songs that doesn't get enough airplay today. I also second "New York Minute". I still get chills when I hear that song. Unfortunatly, it is too slow, deep and almost depressing for a lot of stations, then and now.

"New York Minute" reminds everyone of 9/11 now...

I don't remember Huey Lewis and the News' "Heart and Soul" being on the radio a lot then. I loved that song when I had the tape, but "Heart of Rock and Roll" and "Power of Love" seemed to be on-air the most.

schmave said:
I don't remember Huey Lewis and the News' "Heart and Soul" being on the radio a lot then.

It was played on Top 40 in Southern California in late 83, thru '84. Great song!

qid937 said:
This thread is intended to belt out those lost tracks that you feel could have had success on radio air play in the 80s, had they been given a decent chance or chance at all. With that said I'll start with the following:

"High School Confidental" Rough Trade

"Getting Away With It" Electronic

Pretty much any cut off Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast album expect for "Your Not Drinking Enough". "The Boys of Summer" and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" both where released as singles and Henley's best charting solo hits. Still so many great album tracks that would have fit on radio.

Ok, that gets us started, feel free to add on!

"Getting Away With It" was released in 12/89, but actually DID get radio airplay in '90.

From "Building the Perfect Beast," "Not Enough Love in the World" was a semi-hit in the spring/summer of '85. Great song, as is "Sunset Grill" (which features background vocals by Patty Smyth (of Scandal) and Martha Davis (of the Motels)).

Here's my list (coming from a more softer pop/AC perspective):
Your Love is King - Sade
Do It for Love, When He Shines - Sheena Easton (recently saw a YouTube video someone put together with the latter song set to photos/footage of Michael Jackson... couldn't keep my eyes dry)
Soul Kiss - Olivia Newton-John
All Right - Christopher Cross
Twilight World - Swing Out Sister
You're Looking Like Love to Me - Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack
I Could Never Miss You (More Than I Do) - Lulu
Falling in Love (Uh-Oh) - Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
Change of Heart - Cyndi Lauper (technically a huge hit, as it peaked at #3, but one that never really registered, it seemed, since Cyndi was in the midst of her sophomore slump at that time; and it really was a great song)
Who Will You Run To?, There's the Girl - Heart (both fairly big hits but, as with "Change of Heart," songs that didn't really register in the public consciousness much)
Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush (probably a bit too art-rocky for U.S. Top 40 radio in '85, despite having been a huge hit in Canada and the UK; I still love this song, and it does get some alternative airplay to this day)

Falling in Love (Uh-Oh) - Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
This one was the fourth single from an album that had seen its three predecessors go top 10. This one only reached #25, so that worked against it receiving any lasting airplay. Aside from that, it had been a year since "Conga" was released, so that, too, worked against that last single having any real staying power.

As for "Soul Kiss," even Olivia Newton-John was beginning to tire of her "sultry" image by then, and young upstart Madonna was beating her at her own game, kinda like what Lady GaGa is doing to Madonna now! :eek:

Chaka Khan's "Through The Fire" should have been released as a single to follow up "I Feel For You" back in 1985. The ballad did get radio airplay (on Kiss 108 in Boston) but never charted on the top 40 back then.

Hold On-Santana 1982
Don't Forget To Dance-Kinks 1983
I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips-Eric Carmen 1985
Left In The Dark-Barbara Streisand 1984
I Want You I Need You-Chris Christian 1981
The Other Guy-Little River Band 1982

Any Queen song after 1982, especially Hammer to Fall, Princes of the Universe, One Vision, I Want It All, and The Miracle
Any Little River Band song after John Farnham joined (including Shorrock's second go around)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom