• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is the public's perception of the "DJ?"

TheBigA said:
I really believe what's been missing from this discussion has been the establishment of a professional association that seeks to set standards for DJs, and provide mentoring. I'm not talking about a union or an association that serves the financial interests of DJs, but a professional association that is more about the craft than the compensation.

I think you have a great concept there.

Let me suggest one of the hurdles that would have to be overcome. My memory is a lot of managers and owners in the business wanted to treat announcers the way some southern men have treated their women through the years: "Keep them barefoot and pregnant and you won't lose them to another man."

'Back in the day' when Broadcasting magazine was THE CONDUIT for employment opportunities, I remember working in stations where you could get fired for reading the magazine. How short sighted. I don't want you looking for a job so I can keep you here, but if I find you looking, I will push you out.

Now it is dangerous to try and overlay the present with practices of the past, but I am going to guess that management is not today going to be supportive of air talent forming alliances openly. Yes, maybe some of the Big Time Talent have enough clout to get away with it, but I'm not sure management and ownership in Fayetteville, AR or Harrisburg, PA or Fort Myers FL will be supportive and tolerant of the idea.

BUT, it needs to happen!

PARTI

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
TheBigA said:
I really believe what's been missing from this discussion has been the establishment of a professional association that seeks to set standards for DJs, and provide mentoring. I'm not talking about a union or an association that serves the financial interests of DJs, but a professional association that is more about the craft than the compensation.

I think you have a great concept there.

Let me suggest one of the hurdles that would have to be overcome. My memory is a lot of managers and owners in the business wanted to treat announcers the way some southern men have treated their women through the years: "Keep them barefoot and pregnant and you won't lose them to another man."

'Back in the day' when Broadcasting magazine was THE CONDUIT for employment opportunities, I remember working in stations where you could get fired for reading the magazine. How short sighted. I don't want you looking for a job so I can keep you here, but if I find you looking, I will push you out.

Now it is dangerous to try and overlay the present with practices of the past, but I am going to guess that management is not today going to be supportive of air talent forming alliances openly. Yes, maybe some of the Big Time Talent have enough clout to get away with it, but I'm not sure management and ownership in Fayetteville, AR or Harrisburg, PA or Fort Myers FL will be supportive and tolerant of the idea.

BUT, it needs to happen!

The Professional Association of Radio Talents International (PARTI)! LOL!!!

Nice idea, really--if, perhaps, a hard one to realize. At the risk of generalizing, my sense is that air talents think of themselves much like actors or singers or professional athletes--always competing with one another for roles/gigs. So it would require strong leadership to generate significant participation. Very interesting idea.

As to the original question... since radio is largely a local phenomenon, perception of jocks/ATs/DJs most likely varies greatly from market to market.

Small markets used to function as a true "farm system" of air talent, so it was not unusual for incredibly talented people to surface on-air in very small communities. Likewise, before the rise of comedy clubs in hundreds of towns nationwide, radio served as a venue for thousands of funny people in both small and large markets. The stand-up circuit has "robbed" radio of most of the comedians... and automation/networking has replaced the "farm system" jobs in most small markets. And, as a result, there seem to be far fewer compelling talents on radio, today.

But, as the saying goes, problems and opportunities are just different sides of the same coin. The (relative) paucity of engaging, funny, entertaining performers currently on radio means tremendous opportunity for those willing and able to take advantage.

We just have to crack out the checkbooks... if we can.

amfmxm said:
The (relative) paucity of engaging, funny, entertaining performers currently on radio means tremendous opportunity for those willing and able to take advantage.

Why?

Consider the recording artist motivation. In today's world, selling a CD isn't the goal. Getting your music on the radio is the goal...in order to drive people to your live show.

Radio hosts are already ON THE RADIO!!!! They have achieved what recording artists desire. But to them, being on the air is an end in itself. THAT is the mistake.

Let's look at the history: Being on the radio wasn't the be-all and end-all for Alan Freed, Dick Clark, Wolfman Jack, Casey Kasem, or Howard Stern. Hey! Bob Crane was a morning DJ in LA who ended up starring in Hogan's Heros on TV. They all used radio as a jumping off point for bigger things. How many other DJs have followed their inspired lead? Not many.

Your airshift is like the CD for the recording artist. It's your demo for the REAL money, which is in other things. Things YOU own. They could be stand-up comedy, books, TV, voice-over work, anything that you're interested in that utilizes your TALENT. The key thing is you have to have some in order for this to work. But if you do, then you can afford to use radio as your loss leader, and make your real money elsewhere. Every DJ has spare time. We call it money left on the table.

Whatever happened to ambition?

[/quote]

Excellent post and that final question says volumes but it's not limited to just the DJ. Without trying to use this as an excuse, many in the radio business have sadly given up. This is a very complex subject but long-term winners are the ones who will have the ambition to succeed, willingness to listen to team ideas no matter the source, not be content in mediocrity and who remember the listener is their main client.

If we look at the local organizational structure of a typical radio cluster, there is the GM, PD, the talent and the sales team. When we talk about mentoring, it would appear logical that those in a certain job would mentor those in the same job. That's fine and it does exist in a lot of industry. However, mentoring is really everyone's responsibility and a fine line is also walked because it can't be micro management. That is a destructive force that is wrapped with the best of intentions but it drives most people nuts and this isn't limited to radio. In order for anyone to accept feedback in a mentoring session, there needs to be respect for the person giving it. Where that exists, there is higher opportunity to succeed as a team.

Let's start with the GM. I often wonder if the GM actually listens to his/her cluster of radio stations. Apparently all that matters is hitting monthly revenue/expense goals with the least amount of effort. While I understand you can't always depend on the comments in R.I. as being true, one can see a lot of commonality in markets of all size across the country. Insecurity seems to run rampant. If a DJ decides to stick his neck out and offer other ways to achieve goals, market the station or program the music, sadly he is preceived as being a threat or being too aggresive and not knowing his "place." As I mentioned starting this string, perhaps the Swiffer Duster perception of the DJ is what the GM thinks too - just talk on cue, play the music and leave the thinking to others.

PD's take virtually no chances on anything resulting in boring, burned-out playlists. People do tune-in and so that seems enough validation for them to stay in good graces with the GM. The role of the DJ is so minimized in the programming because the focus is on the music and this is all by design. I often imagine how tough it must be for talent today to be so restricted and not feel valued. So many must feel they are just one step away from being voice tracked.

Sales teams often sell for multiple stations/multiple formats. I wonder also if any of these people have the motivation and the "ambition" to learn more about the format they are selling. Look, I'm an idiot when it comes to urban music but if I were in a sales role and was responsible to meet with clients, I would be damn familiar with the playlist and the artists so I can speak with credibility. How many do? I get the feeling radio teams don't interract well. Mentoring even the music to the sales teams should occur at various levels. Do these guys even get along with the DJs or knows what makes them tick?

I don't know. It seems the DJ is in a tough position and again I'm not using this an excuse but I think many just don't care anymore and I can't say I blame them. In some respects, I understand the last post in the DJ role isn't the "be-all and end-all." IMHO, radio teams at all levels need to work better together and respect each other. Those who get it will enjoy long-term success. Thank goodness, working hard and working in harmony at all levels and allowing the DJ a bit more latitude and creative control does exist. When that happens, the listening experience is enhanced and it reinforces what the public's perception of the DJ should be - that they are a valued part of the station.

JohnJax said:
Without trying to use this as an excuse, many in the radio business have sadly given up.

You're too narrowly focused. I see this problem as reaching far beyond radio. I was just reading Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation" and I was struck by how different those who came up in the first half of the 20th century are from those in the second half. I'd call the second half "The Entitlement Generation." they look for solutions to problems to come from others rather than from themselves. By "others," I mean the government, or their boss, or society.

Ambition comes from within, not from the outside. Most of today's great companies were built by ambitious people who, when faced with roadblocks from their boss, decided to strike out on their own. Why don't we see more of that in radio? Instead of being unhappy at work, why not seek financing and buy a radio station? There are lots on the market. Obviously at low prices. Whatever happened to ambition?

TheBigA said:
amfmxm said:
The (relative) paucity of engaging, funny, entertaining performers currently on radio means tremendous opportunity for those willing and able to take advantage.

Why?

Consider the recording artist motivation. In today's world, selling a CD isn't the goal. Getting your music on the radio is the goal...in order to drive people to your live show.

Radio hosts are already ON THE RADIO!!!! They have achieved what recording artists desire. But to them, being on the air is an end in itself. THAT is the mistake.

Let's look at the history: Being on the radio wasn't the be-all and end-all for Alan Freed, Dick Clark, Wolfman Jack, Casey Kasem, or Howard Stern. Hey! Bob Crane was a morning DJ in LA who ended up starring in Hogan's Heros on TV. They all used radio as a jumping off point for bigger things. How many other DJs have followed their inspired lead? Not many.

Your airshift is like the CD for the recording artist. It's your demo for the REAL money, which is in other things. Things YOU own. They could be stand-up comedy, books, TV, voice-over work, anything that you're interested in that utilizes your TALENT. The key thing is you have to have some in order for this to work. But if you do, then you can afford to use radio as your loss leader, and make your real money elsewhere. Every DJ has spare time. We call it money left on the table.

Not everyone wants to be in movies or TV, nor is everyone cut out to be an entrepreneur--and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact there is a lot to be said for building a career as a radio air talent in a community surrounded by friends and family, especially if compensation is a reflection of value to the station/company.

Millions reach their senior years having invested half their waking hours to their work only to finally realize that the real meaning of life is in family and friends.

If you can spend your 50 or 60 working years doing something you love--communicating--with people you like in a place you like being--and getting paid decently, that might be better than being the King Of All Media or snagging a small role on "Cheers."

I think we all tend to see life through some "Rose Colored Glasses" ... each in our own shade of rose.

I can't document this, but we came through an era when stations discouraged their DJs and other employees from moonlighting. Be loyal to us... or be gone.

The nation went through an era when it become conventional wisdom that we must all go to work for some corporation with cradle to grave benefits, moving expenses with "gross ups", and starting a mom and pop entrepreneurial business was what losers in the corporate ladder did when they violated some tenet of corporate morality.

I've been following the prices of radio stations for several years now and the idea that the typical DJ that is slightly better than average can afford to buy a cheap radio station is unmitigated baloney. Changes in the Capital Gains Tax killed that route years ago. I was prepared to take that route which some of my mentors took but by the time I was ready, no longer did the seller need to spread the payments out over seven years to qualify for the capital gains tax rate and a great tradition in the radio business died.

We all talk about programming as we knew it "back in the day" is no longer viable. The business model as we knew it back in the day is gone.... and there are no mentors in the business today who can tell a 30 or 35 year old how to become a station owner in any kind of a traditional path and method. You either show up with a boat load of family money, or you are a business genius of the Warren Buffet class... and if you are and know you are, why would you screw around with something as bottom-feeder as radio as we know it?

We all offer such great advice for everyone else, don't we.

It is that rare bad apple that tends to give others a pretty bad rap if you allow it to. That one who absolutely sucks but is kept on because the jock is cheap. Then, of course, a smart alec friend prints, scans and sends me the latest gimmick blog entry that is so full of crap that it just confirms that the one bad apple will eventually just disappear. Lets face it, when you have seen (for example) the loitering jock's ride, it's pretty absurd to see a blog about the fuel efficient luxury car on that cheap salary (that should probably still be under factory warranty) being traded down for a gas guzzler on the government dime, because of repair costs, okay? What can I say, the dj broadcast that everyone should go to the blog to see the fantasy.

Most "DJs" are very good at what they do. Some are great at what they do. Can't really let the rare jerk on the scene ruin your perception.

TheBigA said:
Ambition comes from within, not from the outside. Most of today's great companies were built by ambitious people who, when faced with roadblocks from their boss, decided to strike out on their own. Why don't we see more of that in radio? Instead of being unhappy at work, why not seek financing and buy a radio station? There are lots on the market. Obviously at low prices. Whatever happened to ambition?

Maybe because in practice, "striking out on their own" has increasingly meant veering away from radio?

I was a jock in Charlotte several centuries ago when Jay Thomas was reigning across town at "Big Ways" (610/WAYS), and my recollection was that he was perceived around town as being a brilliant, incredibly funny, entertainer. I still catch his act occasionally on Sirius/XM's "Stars Too" channel, and though it's a different act--"talk radio"--my perception of Jay hasn't changed. He's still a brilliant, incredibly funny, entertainer.

Maybe the biggest difference is that back then there were similar "DJs" in markets around the country: Larry Lujack at WLS & WCFL, Gary Burbank at WAKY, CKLW & WLW, Dr. Don Rose at WFIL & KFRC.

Today's equivalents might be Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy & maybe Greg Geraldo. Stand-up comedians.

We have three morning acts in our cluster out in the woods. None of the people involved are comedians, but all of them have a sense of humor and are bright, engaging people. They seem to be perceived around town as real celebrities--they all do their share of public speaking engagements & fund raisers & parade bits. But all of them have been in these "DJ" roles for 15, 20, 25 years. So they're VERY well-known, and well-liked. And, I'd venture, well-respected, too. They are, for the most part, seen as very important people in their communities--by thousands of their neighbors.

That's not a bad perception, at all. How many people in how many other industries can say that?

What's is the public perception of the DJ, isn't relevant, it speaks to a time from the past.

The future of radio is on demand content, from your iphone or netbook or some such device. You don't listen to radio to hear some DJ, rattle on about nothing, you listen for music news and weather. And if you grow tired of what's on the radio, you plug into an ipod or iphone or whatever.

A DJ who's purpose is read liners, introduce the traffic the guy or weather has no purpose.

From your iphone, everything radio does is at the users finger tips, when the listener wants it.

The era of we speak and you listen is slowly dying. DJ's are in the interruption business.

pocket-radio said:
What's is the public perception of the DJ, isn't relevant, it speaks to a time from the past.

The future of radio is on demand content, from your iphone or netbook or some such device. You don't listen to radio to hear some DJ, rattle on about nothing, you listen for music news and weather. And if you grow tired of what's on the radio, you plug into an ipod or iphone or whatever.

A DJ who's purpose is read liners, introduce the traffic the guy or weather has no purpose.

From your iphone, everything radio does is at the users finger tips, when the listener wants it.

The era of we speak and you listen is slowly dying. DJ's are in the interruption business.

I respect your opinion, but your logic tends to run around in circles.

"on demand (audio) content" does appear to be a big part of the future. But it will not be radio. It will be your iFone or your Netbook or some other device that can let YOU and some mechanical/electronic device somewhere have a one-on-one relationship to meet YOUR DEMAND.

And in reverse of what you have said, it will also be possible when you grow tired of the dullness and sameness of your iPod and iFone and you want something free-wheeling, something surprising, something with challenge, there will be, if we are lucky, still available on something called the radio: a human being. We may not call him/her a DJ but they will be doing something similar to what the best of DJs used to do, but it may or may not include the introduction of records. MTv brought us VeeJays. Maybe broadcasters in the future will bring us PodJays.... people who search the universe to bring you a variety of Podcasts you would never find on your own.

Unless you want to put 500, 600, maybe a 1,000 songs on your mp3 player and hear them over, and over, and over and over again, I'm here to tell you that personal listening devices are like some women... THEY ARE HIGH MAINTENANCE. I have found a small collection of Podcasts that appeal to me. I gather them, stuff them in my mp3 player and I take it along when I walk. But I hate the time and energy it takes to gather them. Reminds me of back on the farm when I had to gather the eggs and milk the cows!

I don't know if I represent 5%, 20% 32% or 48% of the population, but I am very excited to stuff a radio in my pocket, or turn it on in the car, and let some pleasant, curious, intelligent being ramble on about the song he/she has found, do an interview with someone I am happy to know more about, or just introduce some Podcast style essays by people. Think "Bob Edwards Radio" as an example.

And I am disappointed that I know absolutely NOTHING about current day music because there are no DJs to ramble, prattle or whatever it is that seems to irritate you. :)

But: you are in luck. I'm growing old and maybe in a few years there will only be 0.07 percent of the population with a taste like mine... and things that irritate you can finally disappear.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
Unless you want to put 500, 600, maybe a 1,000 songs on your mp3 player and hear them over, and over, and over and over again, I'm here to tell you that personal listening devices are like some women... THEY ARE HIGH MAINTENANCE. I have found a small collection of Podcasts that appeal to me. I gather them, stuff them in my mp3 player and I take it along when I walk. But I hate the time and energy it takes to gather them. Reminds me of back on the farm when I had to gather the eggs and milk the cows!

Then again, what's "high maintenance" for one generation might be not-so-high maintenance and even a welcome advance for succeeding generations. And that's only when it comes to women, where the low/easy maintenance standards of yesteryear might seem positively Stepford Wives by today's barometer...

pocket-radio said:

It's not from the past, at all.

Not when you're about to get on the DC Beltway and WTOP tells you to take East-West Highway instead.

Not when your small-town morning act is talking about your kid's Little League team advancing to Williamsport on the strength of your kid's game-winning home run.

Not when the jock says something so funny it makes you spit coffee on your new tie.

Radio (still) reaches more than 90 percent of breathing Americans each week, and about 70 percent of them every day. If radio companies (us) use that opportunity to engage the listener with meaningful conversation--important, relatable or emotionally touching--we form a bond with the listener that a mere music dispenser cannot.

On the sales side we long ago accepted the idea that "radio is a relationship business." But for some odd reason it hasn't occurred to most of us that radio programming is also a "relationship business."

We forget that at our peril. But if we act on it, radio will continue to thrive.

Ninety-two percent reach. What do we want to say when they tune us in?

pocket-radio said:

"Formatics" has relegated a "DJ" to the role of reading liners, introducing the traffic guy, and generally being "in the interruption business". They were - and in at least a limited role are - the person delivering "music news and weather". A good jock NEVER "rattled on about nothing". Good jocks STILL don't "rattle on about nothing".

Unfortunately, there are fewer "good" jocks because so many talented people have been beached, or elected to leave the business because the opportunities to communicate with the audience - the PRIMARY reason most good jocks got into the business in the first place - have become so limited, and the remuneration so poor. Most young people are avoiding the business, and the ones that have the passion to pursue it are getting very little training from PDs who are busy sitting in front of a computer running Selector or Music Master for multiple stations, while pulling an airshift and/or VT shift of their own.

Management chose to "lock down" programming on the advice of numerous consultants who considered jocks "interruptions" to their "golden format". Not only that, but jocks who actually developed a following - usually through hard work, personal appearances, and working other venues after hours - generally expected to be rewarding for building an audience. If they weren't rewarding, some had the temerity to take their act across the street for more money. Non-compete clauses, one-sided contract language, and outright threats are used to "protect the company's interests". With the growth of clusters - and the lessening of competition - those threats have become even more real.

Fortunately, there are exceptions, and they serve as examples that some have the ability and fortitude to follow. Air talent IS the difference-maker that radio NEEDS to establish a separate media identity. If management ever comes to the realization that COMPANIONSHIP is a major factor in listeners choosing radio, and jocks are the people providing that link to common humanity, radio will emerge as powerfully as it did in the past.

Otherwise, radio will continue as an unsatisfying experience that people turn to in a smorgasboard of music delivery devices. TSL will continue to decline, and corporate will be reduced to selling "impressions" - as websites do. Quick, what's the product advertised at the top of this page? Yeah, that's how effective "impressions" are for an advertiser.

Not when your small-town morning act is talking about your kid's Little League team advancing to Williamsport on the strength of your kid's game-winning home run.

It's relevant if my kid is in the game, if not, it's more noise and I'm gone, or I've plugged into my ipod/iphone.

Not when the jock says something so funny it makes you spit coffee on your new tie.
If, the jock can pull that off every morning, you've got something. Most can't!

Radio (still) reaches more than 90 percent of breathing Americans each week, and about 70 percent of them every day. If radio companies (us) use that opportunity to engage the listener with meaningful conversation--important, relatable or emotionally touching--we form a bond with the listener that a mere music dispenser cannot.

PPM shows more people are listening it also shows, they aren't listening as long, like we once thought.
People jog with their Iphone and listen to streaming media. HD, is streaming to your computer/Iphone.
Manufactures will introduce generic Iphone's, that does everything the big brand does. And choice will be unlimited for listeners.

On the sales side we long ago accepted the idea that "radio is a relationship business." But for some odd reason it hasn't occurred to most of us that radio programming is also a "relationship business."

Relationships work in sales. Fickle listeners turn you off, just because, for reasons that nobody can understand..
And they have more more and more content choices.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom