• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What happens when Tom Joyner calls it quits

Who replaces him? When Tom is on vacation he has different DJs sit in his place and it makes me wander if Tom is job interviewing sort of. I don't have the numbers to prove it, but it seem TJMS has lost some momentum the last couple of years and Steve Harvey has come out of nowhere to surpass him.

Skip Murphy?

Michael Baisden if he returns to the radio. Hopefully George Willborn will reunite with him soon since both had great chemistry.

I respect Joyner for his on air contributions overtime but he is showing his age (he is 63). Otherwise Harvey could enter some markets that never had his show yet. So far Houston and Baltimore are the only two top 25 markets not to have him (excluding markets that can't support any urban).

bringbackradio said:
Michael Baisden if he returns to the radio. Hopefully George Willborn will reunite with him soon since both had great chemistry.

I respect Joyner for his on air contributions overtime but he is showing his age (he is 63). Otherwise Harvey could enter some markets that never had his show yet. So far Houston and Baltimore are the only two top 25 markets not to have him (excluding markets that can't support any urban).

Joyner is on Majic 102.

http://myhoustonmajic.com/

LOL. I guess it's just me, but it seems some of you young whippersnappers just can't wait for Tom Joyner to disappear judging by your comments and this thread. ;) Anyway, I think Steve Harvey benefits from being affiliated with Clear Channel's Premier Networks, the nations largest audio network (according to it's website) thereby having access to more stations in major markets than Reach Media (Radio One) has. So I wouldn't equate that to his show being more popular than Joyner's. I recall Clear Channel clearing Joyner off of V-103 in Chicago and replacing it with it's own Steve Harvey Show.

...but to be fair, Radio One did pull TJMS off a lot of Clear Channel stations to move it to Radio Stations in those markets

Don't forget Clear Channel markets like Savannah, New Orleans, Montgomery and Jacksonville, FL that have Steve Harvey on the Hip-Hop stations and Tom Joyner on the R&B stations.

science said:
...but to be fair, Radio One did pull TJMS off a lot of Clear Channel stations to move it to Radio Stations in those markets
Ironically Radio One Atlanta had a hard time moving Joyner to WAMJ (which has Harvey instead) since WALR and the other Cox-owned urbans have always gotten along well with Joyner.

salemjedi54 said:
bringbackradio said:

Joyner is on Majic 102.

Oops, I meant to clarify the last statement. Harvey has yet to clear Houston and Baltimore if at all.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Don't forget Clear Channel markets like Savannah, New Orleans, Montgomery and Jacksonville, FL that have Steve Harvey on the Hip-Hop stations and Tom Joyner on the R&B stations.
Cumulus is in that same dilemna in Mobile and Tallahassee. Both are better off cutting Harvey loose and bringing in Rickey Smiley since neither market has a hip hop based morning program. Nashville could do the same thing, but the only difference is Joyner is on Cumulus' WQQK and Harvey is on CC's WUBT.

science said:
LOL. I guess it's just me, but it seems some of you young whippersnappers just can't wait for Tom Joyner to disappear judging by your comments and this thread. ;) Anyway, I think Steve Harvey benefits from being affiliated with Clear Channel's Premier Networks, the nations largest audio network (according to it's website) thereby having access to more stations in major markets than Reach Media (Radio One) has. So I wouldn't equate that to his show being more popular than Joyner's. I recall Clear Channel clearing Joyner off of V-103 in Chicago and replacing it with it's own Steve Harvey Show.

No, some of us whippersnappers remember listening to Tom Joyner when he was on 104FM in Dallas in the 80s and then his syndicated national show. I grew up listening to Tom Joyner in one form or another. But it's 2013 and I am sure he has an end game. When he does leave the airwaves it will leave a big hole that needs to be filled.

As regards Steve Harvey, it is impressive how fast he has grown. And yes,it is unusual to hear him on hip hop stations in the mornings when he clearly is RnB.

bringbackradio said:
salemjedi54 said:
bringbackradio said:

Joyner is on Majic 102.

Oops, I meant to clarify the last statement. Harvey has yet to clear Houston and Baltimore if at all.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Cumulus is in that same dilemna in Mobile and Tallahassee. Both are better off cutting Harvey loose and bringing in Rickey Smiley since neither market has a hip hop based morning program. Nashville could do the same thing, but the only difference is Joyner is on Cumulus' WQQK and Harvey is on CC's WUBT.

Cumulus also has Harvey in morning drive on the BLAZIN stations in Macon and Tallahassee. I never understood why Cumulus Tallahassee didn't go with Rickey Smiley on BLAZIN 102.3 because Tom Joyner is on sister Urban AC 96.1 JAMZ.

Could Russ Parr be Joyner's replacement when he retires? Maybe that's why Reach is keeping Parr around even when Smilely is slowly but surely taking his affiliates.

bringbackradio said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

I can't understand how anyone would insist that this 'dilemma' even needs solving. Harvey and Joyner are the #1 and #2 national urban radio shows, and the urban women that matter are tuning in regardless of the specific music mix Harvey likely insists upon (a sticking point for his Radio One rollout, IIRC). You hear 'Home of The Steve Harvey Morning Show' more than 'The Big Station' as WBLX's positioner, and not because its failing. The fact that the show has worked stations both mainstream urbans and urban ACs isn't some content crisis, its an advantage. (If one could look back with the Mediabase/playlist info, I'm sure Joyner's show likely straddled the same fence in a few limited examples before the 2000s and before Harvey's appearance on the radio scene.)

Better off with Rickey Smiley? Why not Russ Parr since his show is also 'more hip-hop'? It's not insulting to note that Smiley's show mostly exists for Radio One hip-hop outlets and other like stations that can't acquire Steve Harvey. This isn't the NFL or NBA draft where there may be an advantage to having the third pick. In Mobile and Tallahassee (96.1 'Jamz'? They should be called Magic for format purity, amiright?!), whatever potential third/third party urban that appears will either go with a local show, or more likely-- resort to the best of what's left in syndication.

Nate Wesley said:
bringbackradio said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

I can't understand how anyone would insist that this 'dilemma' even needs solving. Harvey and Joyner are the #1 and #2 national urban radio shows, and the urban women that matter are tuning in regardless of the specific music mix Harvey likely insists upon (a sticking point for his Radio One rollout, IIRC). You hear 'Home of The Steve Harvey Morning Show' more than 'The Big Station' as WBLX's positioner, and not because its failing. The fact that the show has worked stations both mainstream urbans and urban ACs isn't some content crisis, its an advantage. (If one could look back with the Mediabase/playlist info, I'm sure Joyner's show likely straddled the same fence in a few limited examples before the 2000s and before Harvey's appearance on the radio scene.)

Better off with Rickey Smiley? Why not Russ Parr since his show is also 'more hip-hop'? It's not insulting to note that Smiley's show mostly exists for Radio One hip-hop outlets and other like stations that can't acquire Steve Harvey. This isn't the NFL or NBA draft where there may be an advantage to having the third pick. In Mobile and Tallahassee (96.1 'Jamz'? They should be called Magic for format purity, amiright?!), whatever potential third/third party urban that appears will either go with a local show, or more likely-- resort to the best of what's left in syndication.
Steve Harvey managed to do well on Radio One in Los Angeles and Dallas on both hip hop stations nicknamed "The Beat" in spite of his refusal to play certain artists but that was then. In the case of Mobile, Tallahassee, Milwaukee (I forgot to mention them) and Nashville, it is not fair that those markets do not have a morning drive, syndicated or local, that does not cater to the hip hop audience. Even if Harvey is #1 or #2 pending the market, there is an urban audience void that leans hip hop due to a lack of choice. Before Harvey took over, Tallahassee and Mobile had local AM drives that played hip hop, while Nashville and Milwaukee previously had Doug Banks on their CC urban outlets. Jacksonville has it made now given that Power 106.1, still in its infancy, has Rickey Smiley as of a few days ago, so there is a choice; now it's a matter of time before Cox moves Joyner to Hot 106.5 soon.

radioville said:
I'm betting that Clear Channel begins syndicating NYC's The Breakfast Club soon
I am amazed at the speculation on Breakfast Club going into syndication during weekdays due to the fact it replaced Live in the Den on the weekends. CC has only seven urbans w/no morning syndication left, so I do wonder what it'll mean for WWPR (home station), WGCI, WUSL, KMEL, WJLB, WHRK and WOWI and how and if their local AM drives are affected. WWPR and WUSL did dabble with Star and Bucwild once and WOWI dabbled with Doug Banks once back in 2004.

bringbackradio said:
radioville said:
I'm betting that Clear Channel begins syndicating NYC's The Breakfast Club soon
I am amazed at the speculation on Breakfast Club going into syndication during weekdays due to the fact it replaced Live in the Den on the weekends. CC has only seven urbans w/no morning syndication left, so I do wonder what it'll mean for WWPR (home station), WGCI, WUSL, KMEL, WJLB, WHRK and WOWI and how and if their local AM drives are affected. WWPR and WUSL did dabble with Star and Bucwild once and WOWI dabbled with Doug Banks once back in 2004.

The Breakfast Club going into syndication makes sense. All 3 of the host are popular outside of the NY market thanks to MTV and VH1. If it would go syndicated, the 18-34 demo would already know who they are rather than be clueless as to who's on the radio (ex. Uptown Angela, T-Roy, all premium choice jocks). It would force all CC Urban ACs to carry Harvey and the Urbans to carry Breakfast Club. That would eliminate Joyner on CC Urban AC stations.

bringbackradio said:
Steve Harvey managed to do well on Radio One in Los Angeles and Dallas on both hip hop stations nicknamed "The Beat" in spite of his refusal to play certain artists but that was then. In the case of Mobile, Tallahassee, Milwaukee (I forgot to mention them) and Nashville, it is not fair that those markets do not have a morning drive, syndicated or local, that does not cater to the hip hop audience. Even if Harvey is #1 or #2 pending the market, there is an urban audience void that leans hip hop due to a lack of choice. Before Harvey took over, Tallahassee and Mobile had local AM drives that played hip hop, while Nashville and Milwaukee previously had Doug Banks on their CC urban outlets. Jacksonville has it made now given that Power 106.1, still in its infancy, has Rickey Smiley as of a few days ago, so there is a choice; now it's a matter of time before Cox moves Joyner to Hot 106.5 soon.

Without totally laughing off this 'hip hop void' that you speak of--these folks might be turned off of morning drive, which says nothing about what they're doing the rest of the day. (One that might or might not include listening to the Harvey affiliate past 10am.)

I'll also say fairly confidently that they might fill a school bus or two, which is to say there's not enough of them to change or swing any station's fortunes.

I will laugh at "not fair", considering fairness as a quaint concept in the radio/entertainment business. 'Fairness' probably doesn't include countless local talent casualties and low advertising dollar respect in spite of demonstrated buying/spending power.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom