• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What do I need amp-wise to power my Klipsch KSB 1.1 speakers?

I have had these speakers since the late 90's and really like their crisp output, possibly because I may lack some high end hearing capability.

I haven't used them for years but now that I've ordered a "Degen DE1126 Ultra-Thin AM/FM/SW Radio with 4GB MP3 Player, Voice Recorder" I'm thinking that I might create some sort of mini-stereo system using the Klipschs.

While I do have a monster Sony receiver that does everything they could do (mid 90's) it's just so massive I don't like using it. I was looking at amps at Amazon and I noticed some as low as $20!

Just curious what powered amp would run these speakers. Here are some specs I found on the speakers:

KSB-1.1 Specifications frequency response 65Hz-20kHz±3dB power handling 75 watts max. continuous (300 watts peak) sensitivity 92dB @ 1watt/1meter. nominal impedance 8 ohms. tweeter K-94-S 1" (2.54cm) Silk dome compression driver. high frequency horn 90°x40° Tractrix® Horn. woofer K-1027-SV 5.25" (13.34cm) Poly cone. enclosure material ABS. enclosure type Bass reflex via front-mounted port. dimensions 11.125" (28.3cm) x 6.875" (17.5cm) x 6.375" (16.2cm). mounting Double keyhole and threaded insert mounting, Vogel® SAT-5 mounting bracket provision. weight 6 lbs. (2.7kg). finishes Black, White.

Thanks.

Those Klipsch have 92db sensitivity 1w/1m. Thats pretty high sensitivity. The amp i linked to at 15 wpc you will hit 104db peaks at 1 meter which for casual listening will be plenty loud.

Will the 8 ohm impedance be an issue?

I've been reading a lot of reviews for several units under $50.

The DTA-1 seems to get good reviews....but so do most of the others.

Fieldtech1 said:

I agree with the T amps. They sound very sweet and are great for near field. I used to be skeptical of many of the digital amplifiers however have become a convert after A/B ing them against know electronics.

This would be the hot setup to feed the amp (if you have a deep pocket) http://www.bagend.com/bagend/downloads/isub12_home.pdf

I use this in my home theatre along with JBL LSR32's fed by a Crown K2 power amp. The K2 is Crown's balanced current amplifier invented by Gerald Stanley. It has enough current capability to start and run a 1/2" chuck electric drill when fed 60 Hz from a generator. I wish they still made these as they drive anything and have no fan noise.

Doesn't sound like you are planning to invest massive amounts of money in this amp, so this may not be a big worry:

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers with some age on them. The foam rubber has deteriorated around the outer edge of the speaker cones. (I inspected mine after noticing some pretty decent speakers for sale at Goodwill where the screen was removed and the crumbling foam was obvious.)

I don't currently have an amp that could drive my B-As and I know that if I spend the money go get one, I will probably have to spend some money rebuilding speakers.

Yeah. I really don't want to spend anything on this 'project'.

I'm leaning towards the "LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply".

If it doesn't power them then I'll just use it for something else.

My only other pair of 'real' speakers are a couple JBL L60T's that I bought in the late 80's. I remember the sales clerk telling ma he had a deal on an out of box set. I really liked their clean two-way sound so I bought them right away for something like 300 bucks for both, which was a lot back then for me.

Very happy with them over all these years.

brian65 said:
I'm leaning towards the "LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply".

I just purchased one of those amps for use on our test bench. I really chose it because of its very small footprint, but it seems to work OK. It powers a pair of older Techniques bookshelf speakers (a 10" woofer and dome tweeter) with no problem. It probably isn't the best sounding amplifier I've ever heard, but it seems quite adequate for what we are doing; just confidence monitoring. It is hard to beat the price, less than $22 delivered to my door from Amazon.

I bought the LP-2020A+ from Parts Express via Amazon. $20.77 seems to be the magic number everywhere. I had just read more positive reviews for PE, there were a LOT of other choices at the same price.

As has been mentioned, the small footprint was a big selling point I also like the bass treble controls. I lean strongly towards treble and its nice to shift things that direction.

Mine came in a Lepai box with their Lepai/Vonnage 12v-2a power supply.

It powers the Klipschs' just fine from a couple mp3 players so far. I haven't cranked it up much yet because I don't want to blow anything out in the first week.

brian65 said:
Mine came in a Lepai box with their Lepai/Vonnage 12v-2a power supply.

Mine said "Vonnage" on the power supply as well. I thought that was amusing. The instructions, if you want to call them that, were mostly in Chinese. It works OK though...

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers with some age on them. The foam rubber has deteriorated around the outer edge of the speaker cones. (I inspected mine after noticing some pretty decent speakers for sale at Goodwill where the screen was removed and the crumbling foam was obvious.)
....................................................................................

When I tried the amp with my JBL's I noticed the foam rubber was also shot. Bummer.

But, in checking out speakers and amps etc. it looks like DIY speaker repairs are an option nowadays.

I was surprised, but the amp actually drove the JBL's not too badly at all. Decent enough for not very intense listening.

Those things weigh a ton though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom