• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGLI am 1290 tower Babylon

You won't have permission to do that from Replay Radio or the U.S. feds

I wouldnt take much stock in or worry about what joylovepulse says or suggests they might do

JLP really needs to do another YouTube video to explain all this more clearly! Is he saying he wants to put a low power signal on 1290 himself to relay Replay Radio, or is he suggesting that someone else ought to do that?

It still there? I want turn to LPFM station to broadcasting replay radio from uk

Www.Replayradio.org stream

If you are thinking about starting a licensed LPFM station (if you can even get a properly spaced channel anywhere near New York/Long Island/etc. and assuming that you establish a non-profit organization and follow all of the other LPFM qualifications) then the answer is likely no. Here are a few things that come to mind here:

(1) If the source stream plays commercials, even British adverts, then the answer is no. Even if Replay does not pay you cash to carry the station, they are providing you with a music service saving you from having to do that work yourself. That in itself is considered "consideration". A noncommercial educational station can't be used in exchange of any consideration/remuneration to broadcast a commercial message (Section 399b of the Communications Act).

(2) I hear ID jingles on this stream. Those jingles may have been produced with a condition that they are only licensed for use on the internet stream and not licensed for terrestrial rebroadcast. In some cases, there may be another terrestrial broadcast station with market exclusivity to use those cuts. This violates the license and copyright laws and could lead to you get a cease and desist letter from the jingle company and potential damages.

(3) Because this is an internet stream, you would have to track the meta data for each of the songs being played so they can be reported to ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and GMR. Remember, you will be liable for music licensing fees for broadcast on the terrestrial station.

(4) In the case of a LPFM station where there were multiple competing applications and the grant of the LPFM station was a result of dismissing other competing applicants based on points, you will likely have a pledge to operate a minimum of 8 hours per day of local programming and maintain a main studio with staff available at least 20 hours per week (FCC rules §73.872).

(5) Legal IDs for the LPFM station will need to be inserted.

(6) LPFM is intended for the use of local organizations for local programming, not as a jukebox for an overseas internet stream. This type of operation is frowned on by the rest of the LPFM community and would be a waste of a channel that could be better used by another organization that may actually do something more unique. Of course, the FCC can't regulate what format you operate as long as the various rules are met. We already have a huge problem with satellite networks such as EWTN, 3 Angels Broadcast Network and New Tang Dynasty TV who have abused the LPFM service to carry national programming services without any local programming. There is nothing wrong with running some "imported" programming but you should aim to provide a service in the public interest to meet the needs of your local community.

(7) Be ready to spend tens of thousands for equipment and installation including a certified transmitter, a certified EAS decoder, a studio to transmitter link if the program origination point is different than the transmitter site. You may also have to pay for site rental/lease as well as insurance, building permits, zoning, etc.

So, my answer is... most likely.. no.

Michelle Bradley, CBT
Founder
REC Networks
https://recnet.com
REC: We are LPFM

=m

First and last I'd heard, Joy, WGLI always had three sticks, back from when the ink hadn't dried on their FCC license.

They had nowhere else to send their 5000-watt daytime signal but southeast.

And it had to've been the better part of 20 years ago when the abandoned building and property underwent some curious form of spontaneous combustion.

The only Babylon Long Island AM station with one tower was WBAB 1440.

And here is where I insert my recommendation for https://recnet.com

This is a great resource for professionals and the merely curious alike.

It's worth of an occasional "donate" click, also.

The site is free, and anyone interested in looking at station facilities, ownership, history and the like should immediately bookmark it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom