• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WERT stream not working

Someone told me about this station in Van Wert, Ohio as a possible alternative to KABL. If adult standards radio was once called middle of the road, WERT is all over the road. lately, though, when I have turned in, the music mix has been more logical, more like what adult standards sounded like a few years ago when it had more standards, but with more rock and roll oldies than adult standards used to have.

Someone told me about this station in Van Wert, Ohio as a possible alternative to KABL. If adult standards radio was once called middle of the road, WERT is all over the road. lately, though, when I have turned in, the music mix has been more logical, more like what adult standards sounded like a few years ago when it had more standards, but with more rock and roll oldies than adult standards used to have.
I'm confused...the thread topic is in regards to the WERT stream not working, but from what you wrote, that wasn't mentioned. Seems like your're listening to them now???

I'm confused...the thread topic is in regards to the WERT stream not working, but from what you wrote, that wasn't mentioned. Seems like your're listening to them now???
I was describing what I have heard in the past.

No, I haven't listened today. I keep getting "This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment. You can interact with most of the player features, but will not be able to hear the audio stream. Please check back later, or contact the station if you have questions."

Someone told me about this station in Van Wert, Ohio as a possible alternative to KABL. If adult standards radio was once called middle of the road, WERT is all over the road.
That's funny. Middle of the road is swerving all over the road.

No, I haven't listened today. I keep getting "This station is not streaming to your geographic area at the moment. You can interact with most of the player features, but will not be able to hear the audio stream. Please check back later, or contact the station if you have questions."

They're smart! WERT should be geofencing to keep people like you from listening out of market. Streaming is expensive enough. Freeloaders listening that aren't potential customers to advertisers/supporters of the station are a cost that most businesses don't need.

That's funny. Middle of the road is swerving all over the road.

They're smart! WERT should be geofencing to keep people like you from listening out of market. Streaming is expensive enough. Freeloaders listening that aren't potential customers to advertisers/supporters of the station are a cost that most businesses don't need.
I don't know what's going on.

Also, streaming stations air ads from the area where the person is listening from.

I don't know what's going on.

Also, streaming stations air ads from the area where the person is listening from.

You do know whats going on, you were told.. youre outside their listening area, they dont wanna pay for non locals to listen... so youre geoblocked

Thats not the station airing those ads, thats the streaming provider detecting your location by IP and serving up an ad from somewhere nearby you

when i turn on my VPN and connect in SLC, i get ads for SLC businesses on youtube all the time.

Same if i do dallas.

You do know whats going on, you were told.. youre outside their listening area, they dont wanna pay for non locals to listen... so youre geoblocked

Thats not the station airing those ads, thats the streaming provider detecting your location by IP and serving up an ad from somewhere nearby you

when i turn on my VPN and connect in SLC, i get ads for SLC businesses on youtube all the time.

Same if i do dallas.
No, I was not told.

If they intended this to be permanent, they would have said that.

And it doesn't matter who decided to air the ads. The fact is they are aired.

No, I was not told.

If they intended this to be permanent, they would have said that.

And it doesn't matter who decided to air the ads. The fact is they are aired.

Yes you were, KellyA explained exactly whats going on

AS for this being permanent, stations often dont say anything, when it comes to streaming, they make the changes and just move on.

And yes, it does matter who airs the ads.. the station likely sees little if any revenue for the ads that the streaming company airs via geo targetting.

And yes, it does matter who airs the ads.. the station likely sees little if any revenue for the ads that the streaming company airs via geo targetting.
Exactly. Also, if the regionally-intended commercials on WERT (in this example) were created using AFTRA-represented voiceover talent, that talent could demand additional royalties each time the spot streamed outside of the intended market. So if several people were listening in other markets via a stream, the rate the talent should be paid is not only higher, but in more markets than intended.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom