• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WENN files notification of suspension of operations

Not to jump to conclusions, but it sounds like the owner's son (uh-oh) wants nothing to do with an AM in Birmingham. Hopefully the station will figure it out. Also, I can't access Exhibit 4 for some odd reason.
Not sure where you got that conclusion.. If you look properly in the FCC's comment system (due to CDBS being disabled), you'll see flat out..

"WENN went silent on April 4, 2022 due to failure of its transmitter."

Not sure where you got that conclusion.. If you look properly in the FCC's comment system (due to CDBS being disabled), you'll see flat out..

"WENN went silent on April 4, 2022 due to failure of its transmitter."
Okay thanks for the update. Sorry to be so hasty, but around here, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Not to jump to conclusions, but it sounds like the owner's son (uh-oh) wants nothing to do with an AM in Birmingham. Hopefully the station will figure it out. Also, I can't access Exhibit 4 for some odd reason.
The owner is a corporation with 42 stations.

Honestly, I don't know why Summit hasn't just turned in the license to the station already. It was paired with various translators going back several years, but Summit sold the last one to EMF. It wasn't even on the air at the time they did that! When it came back on, it was simulcasting WBHK, then WAGG, both of which have much better signals to begin with. And it seems to have been off the air as much as it's been on since 2017.

I get that the station has some history, as do the WENN calls, but at some point it has to be an albatross for Summit.

The death knell for the station came in 1999 when WAGG, as it was known then, swapped call letters and programming with WEZN (formerly WSGN, then WZZK-AM) on 610 AM. Since then, 1320 has gone through a zillion call signs and formats, and I don't think any of them have worked. Even with 5kw daytime power, it's always struck me as one of the worst AM signals in the Birmingham market.

The last time I saw the WENN transmitter site, it looked very overgrown and unkept, which is surprising, because Summit usually takes care of their sites.
Does Summit own the WENN transmitter site? With all of the mergers and acquisitions over the years, I have seen more than one tower site get lost in complicated transactions. There was one site where tower users were sending the rent money to CBS. The site was actually owned by Clear Channel.

Just curious, if there's more to the WENN story.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom