• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wendy Steele out at Country 92.5

Midday Host Wendy Stelle is out at Country 92.5 WWYZ. She is the only one listed for Hartford on Radio Insight's list of i-Heart Radio casualties.

Nearby Kera Burk co-host of the morning show on MIX 93.1 FM is out as well. She co-hosted mornings on KIX in Springfield before they installed Bobby Bones in the morning slot several years back. I also believe at one tine she was at Country 92.5 WWYZ.

And PD Tony Bristol is out at WTAG/WSRS in nearby Worcester.

Midday Host Wendy Stelle is out at Country 92.5 WWYZ. She is the only one listed for Hartford on Radio Insight's list of i-Heart Radio casualties.

Nearby Kera Burk co-host of the morning show on MIX 93.1 FM is out as well. She co-hosted mornings on KIX in Springfield before they installed Bobby Bones in the morning slot several years back. I also believe at one tine she was at Country 92.5 WWYZ.

And PD Tony Bristol is out at WTAG/WSRS in nearby Worcester.

Wendy had been there a long, long time, way before iHeart/Clear Channel. Not an original jock, but it wasn't too long after WWYZ's flip to country from soft AC in 1988 that she joined the air staff. Hers was the first name I thought of when I read about the iHeart downsizing. I don't remember Kera Burk, but I haven't listened to WWYZ regularly since the late '90s. When was she there?

Greg Bedard from WSRS is out as well.

There’s speculation that WSRS and WHYN-FM will have the same morning drive team, Zito and Suzanne, similar to the WTAG / WHYN-AM regional Jim Polito show on both stations.

Kera Burke (as Kera) was once with WKSS-FM 95.7 in some way. Wendy Steele was with WTIC-FM 96.5 at one time. As for Tony Bristol, I believe he was also with WTIC-FM, back when they became 96.5-TIC in 1994.

What is the end game for iHeart, nationally run stations with local ID's?

First, let me say that *how* iHeart did things this past week was absolutely #@%!*&. "Here's your pink slip, read it. It's only going to take 45 seconds and then get out." Can anyone think that this was the right way to treat people? Even individuals axed for cause usually get more time.

That said, in answer to your question, Don (good name BTW) ... why not go to nationally-run stations for all dayparts? Average listeners certainly aren't going to know and care about the formatics or if a show is on two, twenty, or a hundred stations. If it's good, it's good in many more places. For Localism? Yes, I have to imagine that stopsets and local IDs will work as part of each market's stationality. As needed, the stopsets will likely, as needed, be part of what goes on in the local market.

Cut costs as much as you can and the longer terrestrial radio stays around.

First, let me say that *how* iHeart did things this past week was absolutely #@%!*&. "Here's your pink slip, read it. It's only going to take 45 seconds and then get out." Can anyone think that this was the right way to treat people? Even individuals axed for cause usually get more time.

That's not exactly how it happened. They're all receiving severance benefits, which includes pay plus health care. That doesn't always happen.

The less time the doomed employees have to absorb and react to the news before they must leave the premises, the less chance of a violent incident, all too common in these stressful times. Corporate America is very much a target these days, and corporations must minimize the chance of something happening that would harm supervisors, other employees and, of course, the corporation's reputation. Not necessarily in that order.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom