• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WELCOME TO ... RADIO EBAY?

Just when did the DFW Board become eBay?

Wait long enough, they'll start putting up stations going dark.

Then ol' First Broadcasting will be on here auctioning off unwanted translators and old 73.215 scenario swaps's they couldn't pull off.

I say we need to get an auctioneer.

The JACK voice would be great!

This Saturday between 9 and 10 am well be holding our first DFW area Swap Shop!

Listeners can call in and tell us about the exciting things they no longer want or need.

Steering wheels are fine, used swine and cows are acceptable to.

The only requirement is that your worthless goods must have more actual value when compared to unwanted, undeveloped internet streams.

I have some used carts! ;D If you pay extra, I'll reload them w/ new tape! ;)

R

Okay, we have our first item, Robert in Mesquite has some used tape cartridges, these are Capitol Fidelepak Blue's, 10 cents each or by the bushel for $1.00.

Mrs. Sweeny in Kaufman just called in, it's always a pleasure to hear from Gertrude, she has a chrome front bumper in her garage for a 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham...

And wait a minute, this is exciting, the original face cover plate off an Orban Optimod 8000 with a 1978 serial number. The owner says this was taken off the unit when it was still in use in the equipment rack at the KTXS-TV / KORQ-FM transmitter site on Trent Mesa in 1988. Wait a minute, that item might be valuable...

I love swap shop on small town stations. Perhaps there could be a continuous streaming swap shop radio station. Hey, I just found a use for those start-up internet stations (advertised elsewhere)

I used to work for a small-town radio station years ago and they had one of those weekend swap shop shows, always great to hear people wanting to get rid of their junk in the garage,,

The Cap city station I work for in Melbourne (Australia), runs "Buy Swap & Sell", every Saturday and Sunday from 6am to 8am, and the phones run hot for the entire two hours. I thought it was small town radio stuff, but this is one of our highest rating shows on the weekend, at one point last year we claimed 50% of the Melbourne listening audience, in those two hours. Depending on who is on air, we can (sometimes) clear 60-70 calls in 2 hours.

Hey Lee!

Is it appropriate to say "howdy mate", or is that just a stereotype used on TV?

I was wondering if you had a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk or any other cool Mad Max vehicles or memorabilia you'd like to put on our hypothetical, Dallas, Texas area radio swap shop?

Seriously now, I was hoping you could share something of your experience in radio with the Dallas board.

Starting with how you first got involved in the industry, what your career progression has been like (small town to large city), etc.

And can you tell us about the equipment you use, console, microphone, automation system?

Thanks for joining us here in Texas!

Warm regards,

//s//JRZ

I was wondering if you had a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk or any other cool Mad Max vehicles or memorabilia you'd like to put on our hypothetical, Dallas, Texas area radio swap shop?
Um, no...

Seriously now, I was hoping you could share something of your experience in radio with the Dallas board.
No problem, happy to. I will say from the outset that regulation is tighter in the US, as there have been a number of well publicised incidents here that have left little or no consequence for the broadcaster or owners.

Starting with how you first got involved in the industry, what your career progression has been like (small town to large city), etc.
I got involved in community radio in high school, and 10 years after first involvement in two cities, I landed a casual gig as a board op. It is fairly common for people in (some) community stations to get work in the commercial or ABC (non-com) sectors. While in my first commercial gig, it lead to doing stints in the production department, where I found that I could be creative. Announcing wasn't really my thing, but as I moved from job to job, it was generally part of the job description. I've worked with four different companies in six different market duopolies. I have to say, each group is different, yet the same. It's always interesting when you get to a (generally) small market and you find that there is one person there who has been there for so long that they think they know everything. My favourite story is my last "small market" PD told me that I will never have it as easy as I had it working there. Well, guess I had the last laugh. Nearly eight years later, I'm still with the #1 station, in Australia's #2 market.

And can you tell us about the equipment you use, console, microphone, automation system?

Throughout the my career, Paul Kirk analogue consoles were the standard. They are real workhorses. Back in 2009, my current employer moved studios and upgraded. We are running Maestro on to stations, using Klotz digital desks.

One parting word, formats here are rather dull. Music formats here are unadventurous. There is no (fulltime) commercial country, and what passes as rock is stuck somewhere in the 80's. I will say that talk radio is way better than the US, as it is generally a mix of news, entertainment and a health mix of local, state, national and international politics.

I hope this answers some questions about the land down under.

Dear Lee:

It was great to hear from you on our theater of the mind swap shop. I wish you had some Transavia PL-12 Airtruk's in your inventory since there is a lot of demand for used Airtruk's in rural Texas and not too many big city types have ever seen one up close and personal.

For sure that is the coolest thing in Beyond Thunderdome!

Seriously though, thanks for your reply and info on bdcasting in the Down Under!

We hope to hear from you again.

Now back to the countdown.

sung: #29

Anyone seen a good quality, used internet station with kitchen / restroom / conference room and earphones around here??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom