• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WEGO officially no more

Something that I guess won’t come as a surprise to … anybody, since they’ve been silent for a year, the license for 1410 WEGO licensed to Concord was turned in to the FCC on 12/21/23.

They previously sold their FM translator to EMF for $172,000, probably a lot more than the AM was worth, thus dooming the AM station. Without a translator, the value of a high dial AM today is not much.

i wouldve probably done the same thing, considering all the factors

They previously sold their FM translator to EMF for $172,000, probably a lot more than the AM was worth, thus dooming the AM station. Without a translator, the value of a high dial AM today is not much.

The AM transmitter site is (or was not sure now) by Beasley. I am guessing when the lease was up for renewal the rent was going to go way up. Extremely hard to move an AM. No other AMs around to diplex on. Juice not worth the squeeze I expect.

I hated to see it go. Like a lot of folks I spent time there back in the 80s.

t123

Concord has over 100,000 people. It should have a radio station for news and information.
Yes back in the day WEGO and WPEG were sister stations in the same building and served Concord with local news and information. Then WPEG became Power 98 and was more of an Urban station for Charlotte under different owners over the years. WPEG became very successful to this day as Power 98.

When I worked there both stations were automated. Both running Drake Chenault formats. Country on WEGO and Urban on WPEG.

WPEG used announced reels. They could run live or live assist. Fred Graham 'voice tracked' using carts during the midday.

The FM announcers were supposed to bulk erase a cart every hour that was in a cart recorder in the AM automation to record the NCNN newscast at 5 before the hour. I started working weekends on the AM. I would listen on my drive to the studio. Most Saturdays the news would be several days old.

We also kept a spray bottle with Downy Fabric Softener to keep the static down on the carpet in front of the AM automation. More than once I touched the controller and all four reels would start and all four Go-Carts would start. That wasn't much fun.

Back
Top Bottom