• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDWZ 89.3 Andalusia

WDWZ 89.3 is only 100 miles from me but I just discovered the station. It appears be a privately run NPR affiliate for South Central Alabama. Where did it come from? The station doesn’t appear to have any government funding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because they run NPR programming or a station is an NPR member, that doesn’t mean they get government funding. The answer to the question of where they came from is that they’re owned by a company that also owns other stations:

That may be so, but there's nothing I can find on the NPR end of things to indicate that they're actually an NPR member station.

Anyone can put anything on a website, after all.

Looked at Google maps - can't be 100% sure, but it looks like the tower was dismantled recently. Some of the street view shots from 2018 show the tower, but 2022 street view shots don't show the tower. Nothing filed that indicates a move to a new location.

It’s a licensed station in the non com part of the band, so broadcasting NPR programming wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. I know a few non com stations that air some NPR programming but aren’t full time NPR stations. I’m just not sure if the licensed tower is still there or if they are broadcasting.

I highly doubt they're legally carrying NPR. Even if you're only carrying a few shows, you still have to be an NPR member station, and there's no indication anywhere I can find at NPR that they're a member.

Back
Top Bottom