• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDTW 1310 am

frankberry

Administrator
Inactive User
WDTW, 1310, Dearborn has returned to the air with (mostly) Mexican music, using the positioner "La Mega Trece Diez" and with website and stream lamegadetroit.com (joining two other LaMegas on that channel).

I think the past Country Music broadcasts were to test the signal. I suspect this is the permanent format.

WDTW site

WDTW, 1310, Dearborn has returned to the air with (mostly) Mexican music, using the positioner "La Mega Trece Diez" and with website and stream lamegadetroit.com (joining two other LaMegas on that channel).

I have passed the apparent new transmitter site for WDTW. It is just south of I-94 in the downriver Detroit area not far from the original 1310 site.

The site consists of six short unpainted towers.

If you translate back into English: Keener 13.

It was a nice try, but in Spanish it makes no sense. "Agudo/a" refers to sharp notes, higher in pitch. Or "piercing" as in a "piercing pain".

Last edited:
Is there a Spanish word that might translate into Keener, David?

Clearly, Oscar was attempting to come up with something that hearkened back to the frequencies prominent past while acknowledging its current format and targeted demographic. Kind of clever, actually.

Perhaps 'mil trescientos diez' 'Mas interesado Trece!'

Clearly, Oscar was attempting to come up with something that hearkened back to the frequencies prominent past while acknowledging its current format and targeted demographic. Kind of clever, actually.

True. A rim shot station licensed to Dearborn with - at best - partial coverage of the metro area coming back after being silent is only of interest because of what it was, not what it is.
WKMH: Once the Tigers' flagship when station owned Fred Knorr was a minority owner of the team. The stations' coverage was so poor that days games were also carried on WJBK 1500 and nightgames went to WJR. Lee Allen, Dave Prince, Robin Seymour, Jim Rockwell.
Keener 13: Bill Bonds, Dick Purtan, Gary Stevens.

In all fairness, "keen" is a synonym for "sharp" - in addition to it's use as a slang expression of approval.

No, because "Keener" is a made-up word as it is pronunciation of W-K-N-R; those calls were not a reference to "keen" but to "Knorr", the owner.

This is similar go a Mexican station with calls XENY which uses the name "Gehn-eey". While the term is pronouncable, the word means nothing other than being the station call letters.

Spanish is not English with other words. Colloquialisms and slang don't generally translate, although they may have equivalents. And some words don't translate at all, while others. having no equivalents, have to be explained.

:confused: Another example of a phrase that makes no sense and is grammatically incorrect, too.

Scott Regen as well.

Google Translate should go into the category of "for entertainment purposes only"

Sometimes to amuse myself I will take a well known phrase, like the first sentence of the Gettysburg Address, plunk it into Google Translate, flip it through all of the other languages, and then back to English.

What emerges is utterly unrecognizable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom