• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCBS and WJMK both went JACK today

This isn't related to Seattle, just posting as an FYI. Wow, I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this. What is going on with oldies, is it dying?

> This isn't related to Seattle, just posting as an FYI. Wow,
> I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this.
> What is going on with oldies, is it dying?
>
Oldies is Dying

WHat is left i BElieve KRTH in LA, WOGL in Philly, WOMC in Detroit, WMJI in Cleveland, 3WS in Pittsburgh, WGRR In Cincy, WRKA in Louisville, KJR-FM in Seattle , KLOU in St Louis, WODB in COlumbus to Name a Few

It's not dying - but its listeners ARE. Meaning the format's demos are reaching the it's-difficult-to-sell range. So maybe you are right - the format IS dying, in a way.

Infinity did to 'CBS-FM what Entercom did to KKSN-FM in Portland - abandoned decent (albeit upper-demo-centered) ratings for a format that (hopefully) will generate better lower-end numbers. Only time will tell if those gambles paid off.

In the case of Seattle's JACK-FM - the station had nothing to lose. Especially when AM 1090 pulls better numbers.

THEY'RE DROPPING LIKE FLIES!!

> This isn't related to Seattle, just posting as an FYI. Wow,
> I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this.

This year, 5 stations switched from Oldies to JACK (or clone.) Maybe not a stampede, but if the trend continues as it has, it could cause ring-around-the-collar at KBSG....
>
<P ID="signature">______________
"Never keep up with the Jones's. Drag them down to your level" - Quentin Crisp

[email protected]

</P>

Re: THEY'RE DROPPING LIKE FLIES!!

> > This isn't related to Seattle, just posting as an FYI.
> Wow,
> > I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this.
> > What is going on with oldies, is it dying?
>
> This year, 5 stations switched from Oldies to JACK (or
> clone.) Maybe not a stampede, but if the trend continues as
> it has, it could cause ring-around-the-collar at KBSG....
> >
>

Yeah...their ratings are higher than ever and they'll switch to JACK around or Jack in the Box or whatever this latest fly caught in the window is.

Oldies radio WON'T go away

> > > I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this.

You must not have listened to them in some time. I've been listening to CBS-FM on AOL for awhile. They have been mixing in A/C hits of the 80's for some time ... they even went through a period of playing current A/C hits calling them "Future Gold".

They had a 33 year run as an oldies station though...not many stations can claim they've had the same format continuously for so long.

By the way, the last song they played as an oldies station was Frank Sinatra's "Summer Wind". Then a voice: "Why don't we play what we want? There's a whole world of songs out there." Then "Fight for Your Right" by the Beastie Boys kicked off the new format.

According to an AP story, "Until that moment, there were no indications of any imminent change at the station. Earlier in the day, morning show host Mickey Dolenz — yes, the former Monkees drummer — celebrated his 100th show with the station by hosting a live broadcast from B.B. King's Blues Club just off Times Square."

I grew up in NYC with all the personalities who eventually made their ways to CBS-FM. Where will they reappear? Something tells me that there'll soon be an AM station that will move to 50's & 60's pop/rock in New York. Too much of a niche not to...but maybe too little of a niche for a 100,000 watt FM.

R.I.P. CBS-FM!

Dangerous Dan
http://DanMcKay.com

The Oldies format is going the way of it's listeners to the great beyond. But does anyone think that some sort of Oldies format will survive if even in some sort of weekly show type format or something? It seems to me that as the mainstream oldies format dies a slow death that it would create a natural audience for that type of weekly show, the oldies crowd although fewer still needs to get their fix someplace don't they?

> > This isn't related to Seattle, just posting as an FYI.
> Wow,
> > I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this.
> > What is going on with oldies, is it dying?
> >
> Oldies is Dying
>
> WHat is left i BElieve KRTH in LA, WOGL in Philly, WOMC in
> Detroit, WMJI in Cleveland, 3WS in Pittsburgh, WGRR In
> Cincy, WRKA in Louisville, KJR-FM in Seattle , KLOU in St
> Louis, WODB in COlumbus to Name a Few
>

Just in case anyone may be interested, someone over on the Hawaii board has an aircheck of the WCBS flip to JACK that they are offering for aircheck trades, they're looking for Hawaii stuff (obviously) but if someone here might want that check (lord knows why?) I thought I'd just mention it fyi...

http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=451156&Board=hawaii

Solid Gold Oldies......

....are not what they used to be.

Not that we don't love a little "It's My Party" Lesley Gore or "Eight Days A Week" The Beatles now and then, but these records are 40 years old. What are they NOW to the ears of a thirtysomething?

I've noticed since the '80s when the yuppies began infesting the biz, that the time continuity of oldies radio appears to have permanently stopped at 1974.

You don't need to be a stuffy market analyst to know that nostalgia waves in pop culture come in 20 year cycles. In the '70s, music and nostalgia for the '50s were popular (American Graffiti, Happy Days, Grease, etc.) In the '80s, you couldn't tune any station without hear a '60s tune somewhere. In the '90s, '70s disco and feathered mullets came back. And now in 2005, we got '80s heavy JACK eadio and Bowling For Soup, a band that were probably still embryos in 1985 singing about that year to today's dreamy thirtysomething housewives.

And we're only just beginning. The 2010's are going to give us '90s grunge specials on VH-1 and band reunions with new greatest hits complilations and irrelevant, filler-packed comeback albums, like the current '80s hair metal revival.

This usually coincides with the dawn of middle age when beginning around 35, the eyes, after years of denial finally begin to notice the face in the mirror is starting to seriously look like their parent's. Men especially, when you notice all these bizarre hair restoration schemes and pills for a sagging libido that somehow just can't be sold in stores being pitched to them by doctor-like voices or by young hot babes.

When you actually find yourself seriously LISTENING to these ads, face it, you've hit middle age. There is no where else to go but down from this point dude.

Of course, a thirtysomething brain at first refuses to believe this. They would like to think they still can compete physically and mentally (and with men, sexually) with any 20 year old whippersnapper out there while aurally, they can't handle The Game or Breaking Benjamin or any loud unfamiliar noises really. So like everything else in the small but growing pharmacy inside their medicine cabinets, oldies radio comes in as a mild brain salve. It's not narcotic in any way, even though delusions of this music potentially dominating the pop charts again have been reported among some listeners.

But oldies radio today seems to be stuck in the '80s, in which they were pretty much all '60s back then. I used to like '60s music until the overkill of it in the '80s burned me out on most of it and that's kind of how a lot of people my age feel about oldies radio today. Our oldies currently are from the late '70s to about 1990, which is ironically, is the bulk of JACK's playlist.

Baby Boomers will argue with this, but the '60s are KIXI fodder now. It's time for oldies radio to catch up to the current oldies cycle

<P ID="signature">______________
"Never keep up with the Jones's. Drag them down to your level" - Quentin Crisp

[email protected]

</P>

Re: THEY'RE DROPPING LIKE FLIES!!

> This year, 5 stations switched from Oldies to JACK (or
> clone.)

Not to mention those switched from oldies to progressive talk...<P ID="signature">______________
also known as tombetz.</P>

> The Oldies format is going the way of it's listeners to the
> great beyond. But does anyone think that some sort of Oldies
> format will survive if even in some sort of weekly show type
> format or something? It seems to me that as the mainstream
> oldies format dies a slow death that it would create a
> natural audience for that type of weekly show, the oldies
> crowd although fewer still needs to get their fix someplace
> don't they?
>
> > > This isn't related to Seattle, just posting as an FYI.
> > Wow,
> > > I never would have thought WCBS FM in NYC would do this.
>
> > > What is going on with oldies, is it dying?
> > >
> > Oldies is Dying
> >
> > WHat is left i BElieve KRTH in LA, WOGL in Philly, WOMC in
>
> > Detroit, WMJI in Cleveland, 3WS in Pittsburgh, WGRR In
> > Cincy, WRKA in Louisville, KJR-FM in Seattle , KLOU in St
> > Louis, WODB in COlumbus to Name a Few
> >
>
I'm just waiting for the day that Entercom flips "Oldies 97.3" to country and tries to go after KMPS. <P ID="signature">______________
"Always on the move." Obi-Wan Kenobi in Revenge Of the Sith</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom