• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZJ?

DAMac let me get this stright you think that 96.9 should have done better? what would have did diffrent? you do understand that it was a soft sign on no TV, no billboards, no street team spreading the word. they just poped one day, the only way to find out about the station was by scaning the dial if Foxy has been the only UAC station in the market there would be no need to scan the dial!. Now they have Steve Harvey, Keith Sweat and a live afternoon show, just check out thier Facebook page it has grown ten fold in the second month, that should be a sign of things to come plus all R1 stations are down. WBZJ is in fine shape with all of your radio knowlage you just can't see it coming. :eek:

Da Mac QC said:
You can't make money if u don't have an audience! Duh!

Again, you're speculating. Talk to me when u have some hard facts to back up your claims.
You're also speculating that ratings is the only way to make money. At the risk of sounding snotty and childish: "Duh!"
Does Radio One have an answer for NCNN?
Remember, it's a cluster.

Radio96.1 And The new 96.9 Format's Not Very Focused. I don't Know Why Dn Curtis Starts Off His New Formats 100% Automated

Da Mac QC said:
The station sounds decent musically, but that's far from their biggest problems. The biggest problem is the signal doesn't cover Durham, a city with a large black demo. A city SO IMPORTANT, Radio One simulcasts their station on a separate signal JUST FOR DURHAM.

Here in Charlotte, Old School 105.3 was #1 in evenings and #3 in afternoons in their first month. High numbers are actually COMMON in the first month, as people want to find out what's new and fresh.

How is Chris Malone an "experienced" PD? Isn't this his 1st PD gig? He sounds horrible and inexperienced on the air. U can also tell by his posts on facebook, he doesn't know what he's doing.

The imaging and imaging voice sucks, and their logo is ugly. That doesn't have a major impact on numbers, but just thought I'd point it out. That was also implemented before Chris Malone was hired, so can't knock him for that.

What does QDR and 96.1 have to do with this topic?

Seems like you need to revisit broadcasting school.. Most of your post is illogical and comical .. You don't flip from a Regional Hispanic to Urban AC and land in the top of anything. Looking at the 1 share point growth in month 2, that's a trend worth talking about... Also you mentioned their Facebook, they are at 960 something followers in month 3. Another interesting eyebrow raising tend.
You mention their PD choice, but I recall reading a press release from Curtis Media that stated they have followed his work for years. So figure, who do you want supervising your product in this new age. Someone going up in their career or someone standing still. Lastly, QDR and 96.1 have everything to do with it, think big picture man.

Their numbers have picked up??!!

Cume

DEC 00,000
JAN 36,000
FEB 80,100

WNNL is already feelin' it. FOXY has lost Michael Baisden, that's gonna hurt. While 'BZJ may not top the market, I think they'll accomplish their mission.

tothedj said:
If there numbers don't pick up soon, what will they go to next?

Again, with this board.. You can't be serious. They are already in better shape with BZJ in Feb. than with Hispanic on that frequency and about that .. They still have Hispanic under the roof.

GREETINGS FROM EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA

sbakal said:
DAMac: Ah, that explains why the Urban format is so stale. They have more freedom on Urban AC. I have always read the ratings. When Cy Young was PD, Foxy had lower ratings than they do now, and K97 had high ratings. The urban format here doing lousy can be attributed to K97 not keeping up with the times. Their imaging sucks, and their rotation is stale. If they were more like 102Jamz or Foxy 99 they would have higher ratings. Foxy on the other hand is a great station. Nate Morgan, the current PD I believe, does a great job with Foxy. What would save K97 is allowing the local PD to be more than a glorified monitor. If Clear channel flipped 93,9 Kiss FM to Power 93.9 and did the same thing they do in Richmond, 97.5 would be done. Now on New96.9 the audience they are trying to cater to has already died, is in a nursing home, or sits at home all day. There is a reason Foxy went away from what is going on. If anything, they should be going after K97s Russ Parr audience. Steve Harvey is much better than Russ Parr.

Russ Parr has 'potty mouth.' I am tired of Magazine Publishers, Broadcasters, Record Companies, and other media professionals and corporations who in collusion with other members of the African American who thrive on or seem to think that they have the "God Given" right to peddle a barrage of foul and filthy language upon our communities just because they are fortunate enough to have the means to do so (or the Constitutional Right to offend me?). Its enough to have everybody elses media pounding on us from Trash TV to Hostile News/Talk Shows. We were once protected from that. Now we are "too old" to know what we want.

First: Numbers are good to have and ratings are cool and it's nice to have the priviledge to be hired as an "order taker." When I was "younger" before I went into a nursing home; opps wait... I'm not in a nursing home yet, my first career became my second career and the thing is I never stopped working. I know plenty people like that. So what do you know! Anyway in the 70's I use to work as a Account Excutive selling advertising for ABC's Progressive Rock O&O KAUM-FM back in Houston. My sales manager, a Lee Cromwell said to me AND let me reiterate and quote him once again as I believe I did in my comments about there being 'Too Much Rock, Too Much Country, Too Much Gospel and Not Enough Soul here on the Eastern Carolina 'Diss' '_Cussin' Board, "... you live by the numbers, you die by the numbers.... here we sell class not mass." I passed that on to my active accounts, like Sears, or Eckard Drugs, Omni Waterbeds or Gap Jean Outlets in their infancy [or the Banana Republic_not mine]. We were one of the elements they used to build their brand. If you build your revenue on a solid client base, the numbers are just "gravy." That means you have to have some ideas... compatible and workable ideas! Especially when their is a quarter of a million African American or Black consumers spending a billion plus dollars here in east of I-95 annually. That's elementary too some people [who have good business acumen and instincts, but that is becomming a rare commodity in commercial radio sales].

Second: The same Progressive Rock audience I sold in the 70's is today's Classic Rock audience and I don't hear anybody in radio referring to them as being "old." If I was bias like some of you younger professionals I would think many of you don't have any good ideas but I because of the wisdom I have gained I know better. So once again I say to you and others like you, spare me the slander and the ridicule... I'm not ready to be old and neither are many of my peers. Here in Eastern North Carolina BJZ is suddenly getting the buzz not to mention the fact that their signal is getting into Greenville, including in-house reception at "10BY!" And I find their music selection is decent. There is a sense of effort. The word is getting around. They don't have to hide behind the pulpit and for now it seems that they aren't having a "orgy of indecent lyrics" on the airwaves." I am enjoying the music (but if it should I'm gone_and I will just listen to my own radio program. Risque is one thing filth is another).

If we had a "BZJ" before the presidential election "North Carolina 'woulda' went 'blue' and McCory would not have been in the state house, and with that being stated, remember their sales teams can sell that format across the board to include religeous information [i.e., to the highways and the hedges] as revenue if need be. No more "preachin'... to the just the choir" radio formats. Also remember it could have been Romney [aka Bain Capital and more of them Clear Channel-type deals] in the Whitehouse. Murdock would have been the first one at his door. That old "codger," he ain't got a creative idea in his head_right? Aren't we lucky! We are alreadypowerless enough.

Now the only real problem I really have with people like Harvey or Sweat and unlike Tom Joyner, who were not career DJs'and Broadcasters [like me] who have been displaced and replaced by the development of these mega_corporate entities who have access to our law-making bodies and excessive use of technology like Clear Channel who unlike before can give their selected talent the "instant nationwide hook-up" whether their talent selection demands it or not. And money like technology can be misused. In essence many of these talents were a product of promotional efforts which found its roots in radio and then TV.

And with the large amounts of money these talents will be making they could even buy a few radio stations for themselves but they won't. It's all political now. In the mean time, "Getta life!"

One more thing, you need to watch whats going on around you. Real broadcasters and the communities they served have been legislated out of the process. You can get legislated out if the process too. Ponder that. Radio might be the only thing that will save you and me.

PEACE, LOVE AND SOUL!!!

Softjamms...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom