• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ very glitchy

I'm watching WBZ 4.1 and it seems like they're having severe problems. It's like flashing and the audio is going in and out. I can tell that it's the station and not my reception. It's subchannels are not having this problem.

Yesterday the WBZ signal through Comcast was very glitchy, as if I was watching a stuttering broadcast. It happened during both local news and the CBS Evening News.

And I also noticed an audio dropout during Monday’s (Christmas Day) Chiefs-Raiders game. It’s a problem that needs to be fixed on WBZ’s end. I did not see any of these issues on WPRI.

This problem has also been discussed on the "Other Forum". There was a suggestion that this might be coming from the NBC Atlanta Hub. That might or might not affect WPRI, of course.

Watching the Patriots-Bills game on WBZ on Comcast Bristol County. Audio cutting out for at least 30 seconds at a time. I immediately switched to WPRI and no audio issues. WBZ needs to address this issue ASAP. It is annoying. It is embarassing for a CBS owned station to have this problem

The other forum is the "Local HDTV Info and Reception" thread on the "AVS Forum". The "hub" in Atlanta was suggested there as a possible source of the WBZ problem. Referring to it as "NBC" was my typo only.

This problem has also been discussed on the "Other Forum". There was a suggestion that this might be coming from the NBC Atlanta Hub. That might or might not affect WPRI, of course.
Why would an NBC Atlanta hub affect the transmission of a Boston station (and a CBS O&O)?

EDIT - I just saw the post above mine. I also noticed audio dropouts during yesterday’s Patriots game on WBZ. Switching the channel to WPRI “fixed” this issue with respect to watching the game uninterrupted.

Also, I noticed the WPRI feed of the Patriots game yesterday was at least 20 seconds behind the WBZ feed. Why would this be?

Last edited:
Why would an NBC Atlanta hub affect the transmission of a Boston station (and a CBS O&O)?

EDIT - I just saw the post above mine. I also noticed audio dropouts during yesterday’s Patriots game on WBZ. Switching the channel to WPRI “fixed” this issue with respect to watching the game uninterrupted.

Also, I noticed the WPRI feed of the Patriots game yesterday was at least 20 seconds behind the WBZ feed. Why would this be?

This is quoted from that other forum: "I don't know what happened over at WBZ-TV, I suspect there was an issue at the hub in Atlanta." Perhaps there is a CBS path via Atlanta?

There can be lots of reasons. Different encoders. Both stations get their respective signals out of market. WBZ , Atlanta, WPRI, Chicopee, MA. Fiber propagation, hub encoding. So many reasons why there is a difference.

Anybody else been having problems with ch.38 and its subs this week? As in, gone after the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom