• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ Radio working on transmitter?

T

Tilden

For the second Saturday in a row it is next impossible to hear BZ Radio.
Must be on low power while working on transmitter or antenna.

I'm assuming AM. They do have an AUX site near downtown I believe which runs at lower power. Now that the weather's nice out at the beach they may be doing some work there..

For the second Saturday in a row it is next impossible to hear BZ Radio.
Must be on low power while working on transmitter or antenna.

Yup, same up here in the Merrimack Valley. I thought it was my Volvo AM radio acting up - the latter are known to be notoriously bad with lots of noise on the AM band - but it seems others are also experiencing similar reception problems.

I thought they did some painting a few years back, so maybe it's real work this time on the xmtr and/or the antenna system.

If indeed they are transmitting from the aux facility at 1170 Soldiers Field Rd, then they are probably not in HD on AM. Can anyone confirm this?

If indeed they are transmitting from the aux facility at 1170 Soldiers Field Rd, then they are probably not in HD on AM. Can anyone confirm this?
Yup from SFR, sans IBOC, plus the audio sounds slightly “off” or distant, like the feed is being run through a fairly decent (but not quite high quality) phone line—?

If WBZ is operating from the alternate transmitter site, they are operating into a quarter-wave antenna with 10kW.

What time of day are you hearing them and thinking it's 1170 SFR?
It seems for the last few years around this time (Spring), for a few Saturdays (and maybe some Sundays?) they switch to the 1170 SFR aux xmtr—just during the day—to perform tower painting/maintenance or other xmtr work, then back to Hull at night and the rest of the week.
Besides missing IBOC (which could be tricky now, since they always shut it off at night), you could tell the difference with the still fairly strong alt xmtr power, as it is easily nullable, both up here on the North Shore and even downtown.

very correct sir. Back in the 80's the 5kw transmitter was often used for a few hours from about 1am to 4am on Mondays I remember working in what was called BZ Radio Master Control and having to power it up. I was about 19 or 20 and was so araid I would screw something up.

I also ever forgot to give David H Maynard his wake up call.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom