• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ on Fios TV

I’ve been having a lot of trouble viewing WBZ HD (channel 504) on Verizon FiOS. According to a Verizon forum I visit, it appears that it’s affecting a large number of people, mostly people who have Fios TV One. What happens is, the channel will freeze up and the only way to clear it is to reboot the box. I have contacted both Verizon and WBZ about this, but the person at WBZ didn’t seem to know anything about it. Has anyone here been seeing anything?

I’ve been having a lot of trouble viewing WBZ HD (channel 504) on Verizon FiOS. According to a Verizon forum I visit, it appears that it’s affecting a large number of people, mostly people who have Fios TV One. What happens is, the channel will freeze up and the only way to clear it is to reboot the box. I have contacted both Verizon and WBZ about this, but the person at WBZ didn’t seem to know anything about it. Has anyone here been seeing anything?

This is has to be FIOS issue, perhaps a failing or incorrectly configured encoder - to lock up a box. A quick web search turned up 3 pages of WBZ complaints on the FIOS forums. With that number of people having the problem, either complaints are not making it through their support bureaucracy, or they are going to some particularly clueless or stubborn "engineer". Calling Sales might help - ask them what the terms are to reduce or give up your service - when asked why - tell them the details. You don't have to actually do that - but it might get through to the correct department.

What exactly is an "incorrectly configured encoder?"

The device that mixes and modulates several A/V signals (WBZ being one of them) onto the final RF channel that is sent out over the fiber network to homes. These are probably not the brands / models used by Verizon - but from a quick search:

https://www.tonercable.com/products/eqam-420b-edgeqam-with-eas-2-gbe-16-qam.php
https://www.markertek.com/product/b...ition-encoder-with-6372-ll-low-latency-option

Whatever other channels are being processed by the same device might also be affected.

I had problems last night
Going to 4 as opposed to 504 fixed it for me

I checked the forum just now and Verizon had posted that the problem was fixed on 4/30. A second Verizon post on 5/1:

"We apologize for the inconvenience you all have experienced.
Happy to hear the fixed deployed yesterday is working. The development team stated the problem was the interaction between that particular transport stream and the DVR engine on the VMS4100. This required a code change to no longer be susceptible on the set top."

So this was apparently a code bug in the set-top boxes, responding to something passing through the head-end from the WBZ stream. It is possible that other rarely watched channels could have been affected by the bug, also - so it is probably best they updated the code, rather than attempting to modify the WBZ stream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom