• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBUR initiates employee buyouts to avert layoffs

The correct number of staff for a successful station in 2024 is probably right in the middle of the skeleton crew of most for-profit and the over bloated number of non-for-profit.

The number doesn't matter. It's what they do. Generating unique local content takes more staff than playing records. WBUR isn't owned by a corporation where 6 stations share support staff. So it's a very different kind of operation. WBUR is more like radio used to be, when companies could only own one or two stations in a city.

We all know the severe economic constraints of Radio. It’s the nature of the industry and has been this millennium.
Some of the economic facts of public radio, WBUR in particular, illustrate an operation pretty much divorced from modern reality.

They‘re CUTTING $4 million from operations while maintaining 86% of their staff?! What’s the cost of the remaining huge payroll/staff?

They‘re eliminating 31 full and part time positions. And $4 million in costs—and 86% of payroll is MAINTAINED?!

This is 1 radio station. In a PRIVATE (non public) industry operated mostly by a few companies struggling to avoid bankruptcy or figuring out how to operate IN bankruptcy. That’s the present industy model. And stations, for the most part are doing a lot more with much less. And are long since USED to that austerity.

Thats the real world. Public radio seems to me to be in a different world. Just an observation. I know, I know public radio doesn‘t carry the crushing debt loads of the mega private radio industry giants. But it’s more than just that imo..

Thats the real world. Public radio seems to me to be in a different world.

Its a VERY different world. As I said, they don't report to stockholders, they can't report a profit, they're part of a college so some of those 'employees' are actually students and they might be interns or paid from a different budget. People can volunteer for the station, and that time is tax deductible. Including their commuting and parking.

The iHeart cluster shares a lot of back-office staff among all their stations plus the TTN office. WBUR is just one station.

There might have been talk of merging WGBH and WBUR, but that was shot down:

They simply re-budget in a way to live within their means.

Back
Top Bottom