• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBNX 55.6 (Decades) is Gone

Noticed last night that 55.6 is completely gone, also seems to be erased from the WBNX website. It was there as of 10/31/22, airing Decades (caught a Halloween re-run of Cheers). Any ideas why WBNX seemingly axed 55.6 when the calendar flipped to November? And will Decades be picked up by one of the other numerous Cleveland sub-channels? (Looking at you channel 3 and channel 5!)

Noticed last night that 55.6 is completely gone, also seems to be erased from the WBNX website. It was there as of 10/31/22, airing Decades (caught a Halloween re-run of Cheers). Any ideas why WBNX seemingly axed 55.6 when the calendar flipped to November? And will Decades be picked up by one of the other numerous Cleveland sub-channels? (Looking at you channel 3 and channel 5!)
These diginets seem to move often or reappear on another channel. Some here might recall that Decades was first on WQDI-LD-20 and WEKA-LD-41 in 2017/2018 and then later was on WBNX but since those stations are so weak, not many could receive them.

Apparently Weigel ended their contract with WBNX, which was set to expire at the end of November 2024.

WEWS is unlikely to carry any 3rd party networks at this point, besides the shopping channels. Like most Scripps stations, all they care about are their own networks, (Grit, Laff, Bounce, Mystery, True Real, DEFY, Newsy, Court TV). This maybe an exception in smaller markets, where it's harder for other networks to find an affiliate.

Although they have their own networks as well, TEGNA is less picky, so if they are willing to add a new sub or replace an existing network on WKYC, they'll probably consider it.

These diginets seem to move often or reappear on another channel. Some here might recall that Decades was first on WQDI-LD-20 and WEKA-LD-41 in 2017/2018 and then later was on WBNX but since those stations are so weak, not many could receive them.
I don't recall WEKA ever carrying Decades, as WEKA at the time was the only DTV America/HC2 station that I could receive. It was on WQDI, but their signal was so weak that it was limited to suburban Cleveland, at best.

When you think about it, Decades was on a low power station that practically nobody was able to receive, then it moved to a full power station, only to end up on another low power station which fortunately has a decent signal.

I don't recall WEKA ever carrying Decades, as WEKA at the time was the only DTV America/HC2 station that I could receive. It was on WQDI, but their signal was so weak that it was limited to suburban Cleveland, at best.
It was one or the other as they were both weak and still more or less are depending on the time of day, weather etc.

Curious WOCV hasn't poached Heroes and Icons or Movies!, which are both Weigel diginets, unless their contracts with WBNX were all handled separately.

I'm not in the Cleveland market but have really enjoyed Decades! I would have never thought that the TV shows from my childhood would ever be shown again. But then again and as with modern music they tend to be leagues better than the recent copycat scripted shows of today.

Comet was also on one or two of the HC2 channels before going to WJW 8.3 but unfortunately it is not in widescreen.
Comet is technically in widescreen on WJW, but they don't have the 16:9 flag set, which means that the video is smashed in 4:3 but not being anamorphically stretched to 16:9 by the receiver. Not sure why they never did this to Charge?

On most HDTVs, manually stretching the picture to fill the screen will correct the aspect ratio. However, many older devices with a 4:3 display can not. Blame WJW for continuing to use outdated encoders that don't support the 16:9 flag, which became mandatory on every encoder when stations/networks wanted to transmit in 480i widescreen well over a decade ago. Note: Movies! was originally smashed in 4:3 when WBNX picked them up in 2015. I was told at the time that new equipment (referring to the encoder) was being delivered to correct the problem.

Comet is technically in widescreen on WJW, but they don't have the 16:9 flag set, which means that the video is smashed in 4:3 but not being anamorphically stretched to 16:9 by the receiver. Not sure why they never did this to Charge?

On most HDTVs, manually stretching the picture to fill the screen will correct the aspect ratio. However, many older devices with a 4:3 display can not. Blame WJW for continuing to use outdated encoders that don't support the 16:9 flag, which became mandatory on every encoder when stations/networks wanted to transmit in 480i widescreen well over a decade ago. Note: Movies! was originally smashed in 4:3 when WBNX picked them up in 2015. I was told at the time that new equipment (referring to the encoder) was being delivered to correct the problem.
I DON'T BELIEVE IT! Someone at WJW must be following this forum, because I just checked Charge on 8.4, which was out this afternoon, and the network is now presented in widescreen, just like Comet. Still no 16:9 flag, but at least it's a start. Hopefully this means that new encoders are finally being installed.

It would be better if they make a duopoly with either Tegna or Nexstar and affiliate with MNTV in the first place. Akron and Canton are left out of the Cleveland news coverage.

Looks like Start TV will be staying on WBNX. Their recently updated contracts list now shows that it has been renewed until 11/30/2026. Their contracts for the other networks are good until 2025.

No word on what will air in Decades place on 55.6. Apparently the sub is still somewhat active, as some tuners are still seeing the vacant sub, along with its PSIP data. This tells me that WBNX plans on airing something very soon, and a recent message to the station states that they are working on finding a replacement network.

I just came across this at the top of WBNX's contact page concerning Decades...

Viewer Notice: Beginning November 1, 2022, Weigel Broadcasting Co. has decided to discontinue their DECADES affiliation with WBNX and it is no longer broadcasting on 55.6. If you wish to submit Viewer Feedback, we encourage you to visit Contact Us.

Sounds like management is very upset about losing Decades.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom