• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBLM 102.9 interference with W275BH

For the past few years ever since WNNW put on a translator on 102.9, WBLM has been harder to receive. I am trying to receive WBLM from the Haverhill/Amesbury area. As W275BH is a translator, could I lodge a complaint with WBLM that this translator is interfering with me trying to receive them.

For the past few years ever since WNNW put on a translator on 102.9, WBLM has been harder to receive. I am trying to receive WBLM from the Haverhill/Amesbury area. As W275BH is a translator, could I lodge a complaint with WBLM that this translator is interfering with me trying to receive them.
I believe that Haverhill/Amesbury is outside of WBLM's FCC protected coverage area, so I doubt they could do anything.

I looked at radio-locators predicted coverage map, there is some overlap, but it is so far out there is no way a challenge would hold up, and trust me, if WBLM thought they were on the short end of things they would have been filing with the FCC long ago.

I doubt WBLM cares about anything south of the NH seacoast/ Portsmouth or Durham.

Have you ever heard them advertise a business in Hampton Beach?

I have a similar problem. WHOM on Mount Washington came in like a local where I live in MA. Now it's drowned out by a translator. I wonder how long this "translator frenzy" will last? I seriously doubt a 250 w directional translator for an AM station that has few listeners to begin with will help the bottom line.

If you are getting WHOM south of Concord or Portsmouth NH, you are pretty much in their Fringe area, again they can't monetize you so it is not a high priority for them.

Their predicted Fringe area stops at Keene and Manchester and over to the MA/NH line in the Hampton area.

What 94.9 translator is there in MA? I see a couple of LPFM's on frequency, another couple on the first adjacent 95.1and none in MA on 94.7

Last time I was in Mt. Washington, WHOM made it on 495 (travelling south from New Hampshire) until Littleton. Reception was variable south of Rochester NH. Plus the translators in Worcester and Boston on 94.9, it's not a local.

WBLM I was only able to receive locally (near Newton/Needham towers) maybe on a Portland tropo 4 years ago, and even then the two strongest stations on that tropo was WCLZ 98.9 and WTHT 99.9

Last time I was in Mt. Washington, WHOM made it on 495 (travelling south from New Hampshire) until Littleton. Reception was variable south of Rochester NH. Plus the translators in Worcester and Boston on 94.9, it's not a local.

WBLM I was only able to receive locally (near Newton/Needham towers) maybe on a Portland tropo 4 years ago, and even then the two strongest stations on that tropo was WCLZ 98.9 and WTHT 99.9
I'm sure you're trying to make a point here, but darned if I know what it is.

From what it appears, many of these are complaints without merit to the FCC. Radio stations are protected to a certain grade of signal. Beyond that dividing line it's just space that can be filled by another station or a translator or just open. Thus, there is no interference because the protected grades of the signal do not overlap.

Do FM translators do better than the AM counterpart? Almost always. AM radio gets about 5-15% of radio listeners (the Northeast is closer to 5%). You can hit 1 million people on your AM station and we determine you have a .1 or 1,000 total listeners. Your FM translator hits 100,000 people and the same format you have about 2,000 listeners. Result: 10% of the reach but 20 times the listeners means double the audience of the AM.

From what it appears, many of these are complaints without merit to the FCC. Radio stations are protected to a certain grade of signal. Beyond that dividing line it's just space that can be filled by another station or a translator or just open. Thus, there is no interference because the protected grades of the signal do not overlap.

Do FM translators do better than the AM counterpart? Almost always. AM radio gets about 5-15% of radio listeners (the Northeast is closer to 5%). You can hit 1 million people on your AM station and we determine you have a .1 or 1,000 total listeners. Your FM translator hits 100,000 people and the same format you have about 2,000 listeners. Result: 10% of the reach but 20 times the listeners means double the audience of the AM.
You lost me. Exactly HOW is 20 times the listeners equal to double the AM audience?

If 5% listen ton AM = 1,000,000 x .05. If 95% listen to FM then 19 of 20 that never knew of the FM may listen on the FM. Just do a bit of simple math.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom