• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBBJ Jackson finally upgrades CBS to HD

Reading reports that earlier this month Bahakel finally upgraded WBBJ-DT3 to 720p HD (from 480i widescreen)

This is good for folks who rely on OTA only.

This is good for CBS, but will this lessen their chances of ever doing anything to make Me TV a full time subchannel because of 7.3 taking even more bandwidth?

This is good for CBS, but will this lessen their chances of ever doing anything to make Me TV a full time subchannel because of 7.3 taking even more bandwidth?

For them to upgrade to HD they may not give CBS much more bandwidth. Where I live I get KEYC Mankato, MN which is a 1 station market (CBS main FOX sub). Late last year they "upgraded" KEYC-DT2 from 480i widescreen to 720p but it seems like the bandwidth they use stayed the same (KEYC has a variable encoder that seems to give FOX a little more bandwidth when CBS doesnt have sports. But when CBS has Sports on then FOX suffers.

Honestly the whole "full time MeTV" ship sailed along time ago. If Bahakel wanted to make it a full time sub they would have done it by now.

Honestly the whole "full time MeTV" ship sailed along time ago. If Bahakel wanted to make it a full time sub they would have done it by now.

I always figured they had no real plans to make Me TV full time. I figure the only other chance to get Me TV full time in Jackson might be WYJJ 27, who carries several diginets, but they're a low power station that currently isn't carried by Charter. WJKT Fox 16 has 3 subchannels already, and I don't see them adding any more, even though their sister station WLMT CW 30 in Memphis has Me TV.

I've also heard that there is an LP station that is supposedly coming or already on channel 20 in Jackson that is owns by the same company as 27, but I've seen no indication of it actually being on yet. That could be another possibility but once again they likely won't be carried by Charter for a long time if ever.

The issue is that WBBJ has the rights to MeTv there so really there is no other option. I know there are some diginets that in the contract if they are on a low powered station and a full power station picks it up they can do that.

The other issue is DTV America (or HC2..they are buying those stations) doesnt have an agreement with MeTv

Also I see MeTV is down to 3 hours weekdays
9-10 and 3-5 (they have a smattering here and there on weekends)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom