• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAZX 1550 Sold

Going from a vietnamese owner whos never really hard it on the air, save of some automated oldies music.. and being sold to a spanish christian operator.

Radio/TV Business Report had the some details, but you cant read them all if you don't pay for a subscription. I expect radioinsight and allaccess will have the story soon.

It's a real estate deal. Station license and equipment sold this time for $35,000 but the buyer agrees to move off the present site which consists of 25 1/2 acres. The present licensee paid $900,000 for property in 2014. Zoned commercial with warehouses nearby. I would guess they will try to diplex off either the 1230 WFOM site or the 1080 site at a much reduced daytime power which is now 50kw with 4 towers. This station is most likely beyond the expiration date for safe use.

I thought I already typed this, but WAZX had a good signal into Ohio and Indiana during morning and afternoon critical hours when it was a Spanish format. I hear it in Knoxville now and then.

WAZX was once 50KW day, 500 watts night until it lost the site behind the shopping center. The first time I saw the current site, I drove right past it without realizing I had...and I was looking for it.

Off the air I think

But they have a whopping 16 watts night power at the near top of the band.... off 1 tower..... I bet that got them about 3 miles of coverage

25 acres of land in a a suburban area.... another case of the real estate being worth 40X multiples of the license value.

Off the air I think

But they have a whopping 16 watts night power at the near top of the band.... off 1 tower..... I bet that got them about 3 miles of coverage

25 acres of land in a a suburban area.... another case of the real estate being worth 40X multiples of the license value.
I think any AM station, not in a flood plain, with a multitower array or a tall guyed tower is a dead station walking if they don't show up in Nielsen. Looking on Radio-Locator, I don't see any Atlanta multitower sites that aren't near water (may or may not be in a flood plain).

Incidentally, Radio Locator doesn't list WAZX (AM) anymore, just the FM...has it been deleted already?

I think any AM station, not in a flood plain, with a multitower array or a tall guyed tower is a dead station walking if they don't show up in Nielsen. Looking on Radio-Locator, I don't see any Atlanta multitower sites that aren't near water (may or may not be in a flood plain).

Incidentally, Radio Locator doesn't list WAZX (AM) anymore, just the FM...has it been deleted already?

No, its off the air.. and Radio locator doesnt list off air stations

RIP. Diplexing is an expensive option. Certainly way more than the station is worth. At anything is even close to that multiple for the land alone, time to turn in that license and call it a profit.

RIP. Diplexing is an expensive option. Certainly way more than the station is worth. At anything is even close to that multiple for the land alone, time to turn in that license and call it a profit.

The buyer that got the license isnt buying the land... spanish christian radio has been on an uptick.. they';ll get it on the air form a single tower somehow, and call it a day

It's a real estate deal. Station license and equipment sold this time for $35,000 but the buyer agrees to move off the present site which consists of 25 1/2 acres. The present licensee paid $900,000 for property in 2014. Zoned commercial with warehouses nearby. I would guess they will try to diplex off either the 1230 WFOM site or the 1080 site at a much reduced daytime power which is now 50kw with 4 towers. This station is most likely beyond the expiration date for safe use.
You are correct about the much reduced power. On channel they have to protect Huntsville AL. and Vienna GA both around 130 miles away. The only thing going for them (to make this work on paper with out a directional array) is bad soil conductivity and a high AM frequency which also has a negative effect on groundwave. IIRC this station also had 94.1 as a FM way back when FM had worse listenership than AM has now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom