• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAXA 1200 Daytime Power

I noticed on Radio-Locator that WAXA runs 750 watts day and night. I thought they ran 50,000 watts during day. Did that change or has it always been the same power all the time?

You’re right, they had been 50,000 watts day and reduced power at night to I believe 1,000 watts. From my location in St. Petersburg, due to in part to the saltwater path between their towers (they were directional, I’m pretty sure) and my location in St. Pete, they came in like a local during the day.....all my radios that scan, car and inside would stop at 1200. I believe it was about a year ago, I noticed, I no longer received them, even though radio.locator still showed 50,000 watts until several months ago.

My reception of lack of, would certainly validate the latest info that they’re 750 watts day and night now.

Drt
St. Petersburg,FL

50kw day 1kw night was what it used to be and in an engineering statement, it shows theyd had an STA for 2 decades to run 2.2 kw at night due to cuban interference. they say reducing the power as theyve done will eliminate the need to keep askign for STA's due to Cuba

Here's the engineering statement:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101801402&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=4

Theyd also been operating at 10kw non directional during the day due to a lightning strike

50kw was a waste of signal and a large power bill. A directional 750w is more than enough to cover the market. They also cover the market with two translators. The AM is a placeholder for them. It seems that the AM isn't identified.

I wonder, why didn,t they return to 1,000 watts at night instead of lowering to 750 watts

There can be several reasons.

If it was directional before, they might be non-directional with less power.

If the tower is taller, it may be more efficient and so 750 watts is the same as 1000 watts on a less efficient tower.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom