• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

was I dreaming or did OGL play these tunes

I heard You Shook Me All Night Long, but not Back in Black. You Shook Me All Night Long is a classic. This is played on most classic hits station. I actually like Back in Black much more. I doubt they would play this one. I would love to hear more 80s Hair Band/Rock songs on WOGL. I believe they could definitely fill a void and still play their late 70s and 80s dance music.

Is there a void? One that enough listeners want (and/or will tolerate alongside other songs) to offer an attractive package to advertises?

As for You Shook Me...I was at an event with a “kids dance party” and that was played. So it showing up on a classic hits station is hardly surprising to me. 😛

I realize its a staple and very popular on many non Rock stations, but it sounded odd on OGL which IMHO since their flip to oldies always leaned Rhythmic and shunned away from pure Rock product. I know this had alot to do with Tommy whos roots were in the Soul/Rhythmic/Motown breed. I guess times are a changing.

It seems like it’s slow to permeate it the boards that “genre”—seemingly used interchangeably with “format”—isn’t so rigidly defined in the minds of audiences. There’s more fluidity in accepting songs of different genres so long as they, together, create the mood/attitude that’s appealing to the target audience.

There’s more fluidity in accepting songs of different genres so long as they, together, create the mood/attitude that’s appealing to the target audience.

Exactly. And what's happening is "multi-genre" is becoming a format. As I've often said, programmers aren't musicologists who seek genre purity. A variation on the old commercial: They don't want formats with good taste, they want formats that taste good.

Exactly. And what's happening is "multi-genre" is becoming a format. As I've often said, programmers aren't musicologists who seek genre purity. A variation on the old commercial: They don't want formats with good taste, they want formats that taste good.

Excellent point, Big A. It's what I have noticed in sampling NYC's ALT 92.3 playing stuff that would never have been played prior to these last few months. BUT makes for an interesting station and I would guess Philadelphia might have a station that does or will try this

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom