• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAMO no longer on 100.7 HD3???

I was in the area this past weekend and was very sad to find that WAMO wasn't being broadcast on 100.7 HD3.

The 107.3 signal is a joke (IMO) so when I'm there having in on a decent HD subchannel was sufficient for my needs. I did check around and didn't see where it was moved to any other subchannel.

I remember years ago when it was on 105.9 with like 80,000 watts and I could listen to it at my college apartment in Athens, OH., and now you can I only get it in certain areas of town. Sad.

I know most on these boards don't care about Urban radio but I'm still a fan. šŸ˜

Martz Communications owns WAMO 660 and the 107.3 translator. They were originally simulcasting WAMO on a translator at 100.1, and then doing an Urban AC format on 100.7HD3 and 107.3.

They gave the 100.1 translator to Audacy, and it's now simulcasting KDKA. Audacy also owns 100.7 and Y108. At the same time Martz gave up on the Urban AC and now simulcasts 660 on 107.3.

Channel Q belongs to Audacy. It's likely a better fit as a sub channel of a Hot Ac format on 100.7, thus the move once WAMO was no longer leasing the HD3.

Back when the WAMO calls were on 105.9 they were owned by Sheridan Broadcating. They took Clear Channel's money to give up 105.9 and move to 106.7, which later was bought by religious broadcasters.

Unfortunately Urban formats have never been able to do much business here. I think Martz does OK with the 660 combo, it gets a 1-share and has very little overhead, but the 100.7 LMA was probably too expensive relative to what they bring in.

I totally understand that. I just think currently being a working mobile DJ who doesn't events from time to time in that part of Eastern OH./Western PA./Panhandle WV., a company is missing out on not having a Full Power Urban that reaches that entire area. People in those do listen to that music, just wish the antiquated idea of not being able to get revenue sales from that format was a thing of the past. These translators signals are hilarious to me, so having that subchannel on a full power really helped. Oh well, one can only wish.

I did like the Throwback station that was on one of the HD subs out there. šŸ˜Š

Eleven years ago I was painting a basement in Minersville and listening to WFAN NYC and sports. At twilight, WFAN was getting chewed up by an energetic wild-sounding station, in English.
I dropped the brush and took a break with the barefoot GE Superadio II. I also ran a cassette.
From 200 miles west of Minersville, WAMO was that station, IDing as 'WAMO 100'.

Lol -- a few years before that I was hearing a faint English station way under the huge CJBC French signal. In some manner I arranged for the GE SR to sit on top of a separate loop antenna and wound up with a wicked cardioid null of CJBC. The lights in CJBC's studios may even have dimmed. The English station ? What else -- WAMO.

I was in the area this past weekend and was very sad to find that WAMO wasn't being broadcast on 100.7 HD3.

The 107.3 signal is a joke (IMO) so when I'm there having in on a decent HD subchannel was sufficient for my needs. I did check around and didn't see where it was moved to any other subchannel.

I remember years ago when it was on 105.9 with like 80,000 watts and I could listen to it at my college apartment in Athens, OH., and now you can I only get it in certain areas of town. Sad.

I know most on these boards don't care about Urban radio but I'm still a fan. šŸ˜
Do they stream? BTW, I could get WAMO back in the day in the late 70s when my parents put up a tower and boosted antenna at our house located up a ā€˜hollerā€™ in extreme western West Virginia. I was definitely a fan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom