• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wal-Mart finally buying local radio?

I've heard Wal mart spots on a handful of stations (at least one that is NOT a Metro Traffic or other network buy). Is the shell finally being cracked. Anyone having any luck with Wal Mart in their own area?

Yeh, I feel lucky. Lucky to NOT be on the buy. The way I see it, my home town merchants that HATE the WM will LOVE me for NOT running the spots.

Local store managers get a lot of their compensation by coming under the target percentage for shrinkage (stolen or lost merchandise) so if they are under those numbers the remainder can be used as a type of slush fund that the manager has complete discretion over. Your target is the local store manager. Good luck! You can imagine the resistence that'll be facing you.

It's bartered spots for services from Premiere Radio.

Basically what I am seeing on here is that the Premier spots, which are network spots, are barter spots at the stations where in Premier provided some programming service to the stations. But, my guess is Premier is selling their network spots for cash (not barter) to Wal Mart. So, Wal Mart is paying low network rates for the time. I think, under the Premier system of sales, Wal Mart can pick the stations they want and do not have to buy the entire network. Is that how you guys see it?

ocala500 said:
Basically what I am seeing on here is that the Premier spots, which are network spots, are barter spots at the stations where in Premier provided some programming service to the stations. But, my guess is Premier is selling their network spots for cash (not barter) to Wal Mart. So, Wal Mart is paying low network rates for the time. I think, under the Premier system of sales, Wal Mart can pick the stations they want and do not have to buy the entire network. Is that how you guys see it?

A little more complicated than that, but, yes you have it right in theory.

Listen to Stewy!

Local Wal-mart managers like to act like they have no control but they have some. A good way to approach Wal-mart is with sponsorships of something big!

A good door opener can be a local charity promotion. Like collecting school supplies for under privelidged kids. Sure, there won't be a buy initially. And don't think because you get turned down for "company policy" at one location you can't get into another store in the same area. I have done it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom