• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Video from The Sound Meetup II (with guest Back Door Slam)

Former KSCA PD Mike Morrison did a nice poetic 'bridge' between the legendary KSCA (and other former progressive rock FM's) and the current one we all love '100.3 The Sound'. I'm now wishing I had gone to the Gibson event in Beverly Hills. :'( Check It Out!!! http://www.thesoundla.com/?nid=42 Peace - JG

I looked at the playlist for the sound. that station sucks. I mean horrible.

Its neat that the playlist has so much on it, but, its just crap man.

AAA? more like AOR with Modern AC.

HAMnCHEESE, we hear ya. Personally, I wish KSWD was a bit more adventurous, as I do sigh when I hear Weezer's 'Pork N Beans' at least three times a day (Hearing that song makes me wishing for a 'Ham n Cheese' sandwich) :-X. I'm starting to agree where DavidEduardo Gleason is pointing out, it's going to be tough in this new world order ('PPM'). 100.3 needs to cut down on the classic BadCo and Supertramp - add some more artists that KSCA was known for (I know you're not a fan of AAA, but I'm a AAA fanatic and I agree the station needs improvement) As of now, 100.3 is 'just ok' - however, I do believe KSWD can be a GREAT station with a bit more insight. :) Thanks - Joe

goriajk said:
HAMnCHEESE, we hear ya. Personally, I wish KSWD was a bit more adventurous, as I do sigh when I hear Weezer's 'Pork N Beans' at least three times a day (Hearing that song makes me wishing for a 'Ham n Cheese' sandwich) :-X. I'm starting to agree where DavidEduardo Gleason is pointing out, it's going to be tough in this new world order ('PPM'). 100.3 needs to cut down on the classic BadCo and Supertramp - add some more artists that KSCA was known for (I know you're not a fan of AAA, but I'm a AAA fanatic and I agree the station needs improvement) As of now, 100.3 is 'just ok' - however, I do believe KSWD can be a GREAT station with a bit more insight. :) Thanks - Joe

Actually Pork N Beans 3 times a day aint bad. Its when stations do the 45 min rotation thing, playing a song 30 times a day, that kills me.

Im quite alright with the AAA. (AAA, Pork N Beans, ham n cheese..theres some good jokes in here somewhere...but I aint a comedian. but pork n beans 3 times a day stands on its own...haha)

I could say this or that needs to change about the sound, but somebody gets paid $$$ to do that job. besides Im prolly wrong anyhoo.

Keep an eye on em for fun. Some interesting stuff on the playlist. Would have liked to see what it was like a few months ago, but the sound
webpage only lets you go back a few days.

Dont slag on the hamNcheese tag bro. MarconiNcheese was the other one I considered. Im a single guy. This is what I eat. Frozen pizza. real sophisticated palate (I prolly spelt that wrong)

hamNcheese said:
Keep an eye on em for fun. Some interesting stuff on the playlist. Would have liked to see what it was like a few months ago, but The Sound webpage only lets you go back a few days.

Dont slag on the hamNcheese tag bro. MarconiNcheese was the other one I considered. Im a single guy. This is what I eat. Frozen pizza. real sophisticated palate (I prolly spelt that wrong)

MarconiNCheese ;D That's funny!!

So you eat frozen pizza?? I usually pop it in the oven, wait 12-18 minutes and then eat it, oh well whatever floats yer boat ;)

The Sound playlist a few months ago? Well aside from slamming down songs such as "Mercy"-Duffy and "Great DJ"-The Ting Tings around 20 times a week (too many for many of the listeners), they played too too too many classic rock titles that you'd hear on a) KLOS; b) JACK; or c) KRTH .... They've reduced that only a little bit. They've been playing a little more new stuff, I agree with you about the questionable need for a consultant. The big question on my mind is: Are the people who actually take the time to make posts on the station's Village Forum a good representation of the general audience or are they a fringe fanatical element? If they are a microcosm of the audience -- isn't that the concept of Arbitron ratings methodology? --- then they are making many, many, many suggestions on songs and artists yet to be heard on The Sound. (As you can imagine, I have been a prolific poster there as well) But they are being advised by SBR Creative Media and they have a MD/APD who was formerly the MD of KFOG (Haley Jones). Over the 4+ months of posts, one of the common running complaints on the Village Forum board is the more than enough classic rock tracks on the playlist --- "Long Train Running"? "Layla"(the original version)? "Sympathy For the Devil"? "Light My Fire"? "Kashmir"? "Dream On"? "The Logical Song"? "I Want You to Want Me"? "Do You Feel Like We Feel"? "The Wall"? plus every worn out song by The Police, The Cars, Talking Heads, and on and on and on. These are all great songs in their day, hearing them once in a while is acceptable, but every darn week???? You can multiply that amount by 10 and that might scratch the surface of the amount of classic rock titles they play.

So that's the continuing complaint and yet the station continues to play those kinds of burned out classic cuts. The Sound has a nice big billboard (on the 405 in the South Bay) displaying the current song playing.... If a potential new listener drives by and sees this title and artist on the current playing song --- "Hollywood Nights"-Bob Seger, what in the world would cause them to tune in IF they're looking for something different? Why doesn't KSWD listen to their listeners????

SRF Wrote "MarconiNCheese :) That's funny!!"
HamNCheese, I think that's very creative (Names like that really make you stand out, get noticed) Dude, I wonder how much frozen pizza I had when I was in college a decade ago. Man, I should have owned stock in Nestle. ::) Peace - JG

goriajk said:
HamNCheese, I think that's very creative (Names like that really make you stand out, get noticed) Dude, I wonder how much frozen pizza I had when I was in college a decade ago. Man, I should have owned stock in Nestle. ::) Peace - JG

I wouldnt know about creative or names. But I have Totinos in the fridge right now! Noo roomie is a chef of sorts, so I got that goin for me.

SBR. Yea, they suck. Look what they are doing for WRXP in NYC now. I have had the experience of hearing their programming first hand, looking at their client list...no wonder AAA and Alternative is said to be having problems all across the country. Im thinking Boulder Colorado doesnt translate to LA, or NY, or where I live.

Im sure there are some very talented people in that building in LA that have a great understanding of music and where they live right now. Let them take the ball and run with it! Bonneville investing 15 mil and handing it over to a cookie cutter out of a small market in Boulder Colorado makes no sense and I cant imagine they are too happy with the production (or lack thereof) they are getting from them.

Dont get me started on chocolate milk...hersheys syrup. mmmm.

I agree SBR should let stations have more control in programming decisions. I still believe 'The Sound' will do fine, but as Sammy Simpson from the station told me last night (At The Sound Meetup) they are hearing us and with patience 100.3 will pull a good share (I'm hoping a 2.0) - My conscious is saying "Patience, Joe...Patience" JG p.s. - Chocolate milk - my fav. I love em all, Hershey's, Quik, Ovaltine - What ever happened to Bosco???? Fill me in. :-[ I can't get it anymore in L.A. JG

goriajk said:
I agree SBR should let stations have more control in programming decisions. I still believe 'The Sound' will do fine, but as Sammy Simpson from the station told me last night (At The Sound Meetup) they are hearing us and with patience 100.3 will pull a good share (I'm hoping a 2.0) - My conscious is saying "Patience, Joe...Patience" JG p.s. - Chocolate milk - my fav. I love em all, Hershey's, Quik, Ovaltine - What ever happened to Bosco???? Fill me in. :-[ I can't get it anymore in L.A. JG

Everything Bosco...

http://www.boscoworld.com

Stater Bros.

goriajk said:
A BIG THANK YOU...I noticed it's also available at How's Market (near me) 8) Thanks, Ham N Cheese.. Joe

You can repay me by throwing some In & Out in a cooler with dry ice and ship it back to the east coast. We ll call it even. ;)

hamNcheese said:
goriajk said:

I wouldnt know about creative or names. But I have Totinos in the fridge right now! Noo roomie is a chef of sorts, so I got that goin for me.

SBR. Yea, they suck. Look what they are doing for WRXP in NYC now. I have had the experience of hearing their programming first hand, looking at their client list...no wonder AAA and Alternative is said to be having problems all across the country. Im thinking Boulder Colorado doesnt translate to LA, or NY, or where I live.

Im sure there are some very talented people in that building in LA that have a great understanding of music and where they live right now. Let them take the ball and run with it! Bonneville investing 15 mil and handing it over to a cookie cutter out of a small market in Boulder Colorado makes no sense and I cant imagine they are too happy with the production (or lack thereof) they are getting from them.

Dont get me started on chocolate milk...hersheys syrup. mmmm.

Just a couple of quick points.

First, while KBCO is in Boulder, they serve Denver. Not such a small market.
Second, The Sound isn't a clone of KBCO. And KBCO isn't all that much like KFOG or KMTT, two other SBR clients. Which aren't similar too each other either. SBR are CONSULTANTS... not dictators like, say, Pollack.
Third, I hear Pollack consults The Sound too. That may have more to do with the Classic Rock content than SBR's involvement.

Disclosure; I am a AAA programmer, but I've never worked with SBR. I have worked with Pollack. We aren't on real good terms.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom