• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Urban AC in Boston finally happened

Long time members will remember Ed Beal, Rapking, and Jarome Calvin (all the same person) passionately advocate in tortured English for completely ridiculous programming and calling most other stations either junk or garbage, but his posts about Urban AC in Boston became a running gag. It finally happened. 1410 WZBR Dedham is now R&B as "The bass of Boston" with the Steve Harvey morning show. I wish them the best. I guess now we'll see who is right.

It was never a question it would happen. But it was NEVER going to happen
on a high power FM. The numbers just don't work...

Ummmmmm, I kinda remember reading old posts of yours in which you told LAUROJM/Mr. Rapking Broken English/Jerome Calvin that Urban AC would never happen PERIOD.

There's no reason to take offense. I'm just as shocked as you are, sir.

I do not recall saying that it would never happen, period. In a top-10 market, however, the purchase price of an FM license
(not to mention operating costs, of which there are many!) means that as an advertiser-supported station, with this format
(in Boston area, anyway) a decent return on investment is highly unlikely to happen.

Ummmmmm, I kinda remember reading old posts of yours in which you told LAUROJM/Mr. Rapking Broken English/Jerome Calvin that Urban AC would never happen PERIOD.

There's no reason to take offense. I'm just as shocked as you are, sir.

ahh the good old days of these boards. :rolleyes:

I do not recall saying that it would never happen, period. In a top-10 market, however, the purchase price of an FM license
(not to mention operating costs, of which there are many!) means that as an advertiser-supported station, with this format
(in Boston area, anyway) a decent return on investment is highly unlikely to happen.

Again. You did. But there's no reason to be defensive about it. Because you're right. It's probably not going to work.

I think that if Lauro knows about WZBR, he would be very pleased. It is being programmed with love and care for the music, not like the big corporate stations. They are much more listenable that the two Rhythmic stations in this city. They have a much wider play list and don't seem to care for the big ratings. BTW, looking at the Oct. ratings, JAM'N is in trouble. Format change coming?

BTW, looking at the Oct. ratings, JAM'N is in trouble. Format change coming?

I'm out of market these days so I haven't taken a look at their playlist in a while. Just did. What on earth happened?!?! This last hour featured Macklemore's very short-lived last hit, Taylor Swift, and Big Poppa. It's like a rhythmic Jack FM... of songs you never want to hear again.

The ratings would suggest Jam'n is not getting traction these days in the crowded pop/rock/rap market, though last time I saw a demographic breakout, they were holding on where they needed to. Maybe put The Bull on 94.5 (where the signal would be advantageous for a country format), and put Jam'n on 101.7 -- moving to full urban contemporary in the process?

I am back on the boards :)

Hi everyone, I used to have the name RadioJay1 and often posted in the Boston and Providence radio boards. I remember Rapking or Real Deal Ed Beal, LauroJRM and others who often complained about the lack of music variety on local radio. I did the same thing and often agreed with Ed and Lauro, but it was a waste of time suggesting to commercial music stations to play the music we liked. They could care less about people not in their target demo or without PPM meters. After having Sirius XM for over a year and well worth the price, the only local radio I listen to is 630 WPRO and 1030 WBZ. 1410 The Bass of Boston finally gives Boston a station for the black community and all fans of Urban Contemporary. Any chance of 1410 getting an FM translator? If Lauro, Ed, or any others read this who have the same opinions about local radio, see my favorite Sirius XM channels:

Soul Town (60's and 70's Motown and soul)
The Groove (70's and 80's old school R&B)
Studio 54 Radio (70's to 2000's dance)
Yacht Rock (classic soft rock)
Poptropolis (80's to 2000's pop)
CBC Radio (News, talk, and shows from Canada)
Road Dog Trucking Radio (has Coast to Coast AM)
All MLB, NHL, NBA, and some NFL games
60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's decade music channels
Utopia (90's and 2000's dance and DJ mixes)

Any chance of 1410 getting an FM translator? )

The last great translator grab has come and gone.... that was the one that had Translators playing hopscotch over distances of 250 miles at a time.

If you didn't get in on that one, chances are you missed the boat.

Is there a spot on the dial where a Translator could fit and provide C.O.L. coverage? Probably not, especially with the coveted 106.1 just being purchased by Bealey for north of 400 grand... and that was just for the CP, who knows what they spent on gear and other facility related costs.

LPFM is out as 1410 is a commercial entity

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom